PDA

View Full Version : Tip on how to apply vinyl to Christmas balls?

fedoraoriginali
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I have 8cm diameter Christmas balls that I want to cutomize with names. Any trick to applying the vinyl to such a round object? Any tips would be great!
Thanks
Dora:help

TheSnowman
11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I'd say find the biggest balls you can for that.

fedoraoriginali
11-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I saw a pic of one done not too long ago on another forum but cannot remember which one :frustrated:
I am sure that it wasn't one of those monster balls! Even if you have a larger ball the spherical shape would still make it difficult to apply. I am wondering if anyone has done it?

mopar691
11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
saw it done like the pieces wrapping a tennis ball. Other than that no idea

letterman7
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Just names? As in individual letters and not a full wrap? Cut the name and apply it... no big deal.

Sideshow
11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
create font on a radius

Pat Whatley
11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
create font on a radius

How does that make the application easier?

fedoraoriginali
11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
This is the sort of thing...

Sideshow
11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
because on a slight curve, it allows for a straight application, it will follow the curve of the diameter easier when its cut and applied with a slight radius, when yo try to apply a straight around a diameter on a sphere, it never really looks right if its not DEAD center in the radius, especially with how the diameter gets smaller away from center.

Sideshow
11-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Just to explain, Ive been making custom annual Christmas tree decorations for a few years for family. Ill buy the clear ones at Micheals fill them, then cut vinyl for names designs etc, to airbrush, then layer for other colors. I just found cutting names with slight radius or skews makes them apply easier, and using the minimal..nealry tweezer width of mask so that doesnt scrape.

fedoraoriginali
11-06-2011, 09:21 PM
when its cut and applied with a slight radius, when yo try to apply a straight around a diameter on a sphere, it never really looks right if its not DEAD center in the radius, especially with how the diameter gets smaller away from center.

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean by the radius? The radius of a circle can be anywhere..the radius just means the measurement from the outside to the centre of the sphere i.e. half the diameter???

fedoraoriginali
11-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Just to explain, Ive been making custom annual Christmas tree decorations for a few years for family. Ill buy the clear ones at Micheals fill them, then cut vinyl for names designs etc, to airbrush, then layer for other colors. I just found cutting names with slight radius or skews makes them apply easier, and using the minimal..nealry tweezer width of mask so that doesnt scrape.
:thankyou:Can you please explain what you mean by cutting names with slight radius means? Or better than that, how you do it? I have illustrator, Photoshop Extended and Signlab.

Jillbeans
11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
It takes me about 5 minutes to hand-letter one.
Easiest way I know.
Love....Jill

d fleming
11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
First you have to get the elf to stand really still.....

Sideshow
11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Heres what I mean, since I cant explain it any different. top showing for refence bottom the curve

again, its just made it easier to apply small lettering or designs on a curved surface that small..youll have to find the right diameter to use based on the size of the item and lettering / symbol.

That was on a 24" diamter, which I would use as a base for a 6" decoration... adjusting as needed.

Alti-Plotter
11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Easiest way I know.
Not everybody has your talent...

fedoraoriginali
11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Heres what I mean, since I cant explain it any different. top showing for refence bottom the curve

again, its just made it easier to apply small lettering or designs on a curved surface that small..youll have to find the right diameter to use based on the size of the item and lettering / symbol.

That was on a 24" diamter, which I would use as a base for a 6" decoration... adjusting as needed.

:thankyou:Thanks. I did do something like that but I haven't applied it yet. If it is too fiddly it will be another idea in the too hard too much time category :)

Dave Drane
11-07-2011, 06:39 PM
have you tried getting a quote from someone who does laser engraving?

mollygrubber
12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Cut vinyl.....Apply transfer tape.....trim close to letters.....cut a slit between the letters top and bottom but not all the way thru.....apply

This makes it easier when I've done it.

fedoraoriginali
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
That makes sense!:thankyou: I will give it a try!

mollygrubber
12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
When I say slits, make them a "V" so they don't overlap when applied.

phototec
12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Easiest way I know.
Love....Jill

Not everybody has your talent...

Hand CRAFTSMANSHIP is dead, killed off by the digital revolution (computer).

I'll bet 95% of the folks on here couldn't HAND LETTER a painted sign, if their life depended on it....

Jill is one of the 5%! :notworthy:

Just saying!

:omg:

Si Allen
12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I have watched Jill letter ... she is slick with a brush!

:popcorn: