28 29 30 1 2 3 4

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Today's Birthdays

None

Is HP Extended warranty worth it?

How many of you have opted for HP's Total Care extended warranty package? What did you pay for it and do you think it was worth it?

My 1 year warranty was up Nov 4, I didn't renew. I'm on my 3rd set of inks so not much time on my printer and $2,500 for a year is too much for my small shop. I think it's worth the price if you run it nonstop but for me it's not. The last year mine has been extremely reliable and if there was a problem it was with an ink cartridge or print head, nothing major.

I just got the quote. $4k for 3 yrs. That's ridiculous. I only paid $14k for the printer.

get the warranty,, get the machine served all the time,, use it up, and watch the techy do it all, then you will know ti your self,, then never again need a warranty

I'll go ahead and tell you my horror story. Bought my L25500 2.5 years ago, not one single problem the first year (besides printheads). Mid-august of this year, something strange happened in my take-up reel, which sent an electrical current shooting through the machine. Long story short, it ended up taking 8 weeks, and $4500 worth of parts (not to mention the labor) to get it running again. The reason it took so long, is because HP departmentalizes their parts department. It's divided into warranty, non-warranty and reseller departments (I may be wrong about what the departments are called etc but you get the point). What happens is that warranty folks are first in line. And they keep a certain stock of parts for warranty issues. Then if there's anything left, those parts go into the reseller dept. And then there's the non-warranty folks. One of the things I inquired about was a media jam sensor. $80 part. Was backordered until mid-november. I ended up having to import one from Canada and payed $350 total for it.
    I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty confident if I had been under warranty, it would not have taken 8 weeks and it wouldn't have cost me a dime! (besides the cost of the warranty of course)
    I run my machine 6-8 hours a day most of the time and I don't have time to tinker with it and try and fix it myself. And I certainly don't have 8 weeks to try and get it fixed.
    These are very complex machines (more-so than I had previously thought) and there is a LOT that can go wrong, and the parts add up in a hurry!
    I vote for buying the warranty and sleeping at night!

Find a dead one.. And keep it around for parts. Then you are all set.

you'll be lucky if your machine lasts 4 years. HP built these things as disposables.