28 29 30 1 2 3 4

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Today's Birthdays

slapakiss (33)

Question GCC SignPal Ultra (GRC-61) driver issue

Hello everyone :) First post, this site has been a great resource for me already. I had a search, but couldn't find what i'm looking for.

Basically, i have a GCC SignPal Ultra (GRC-61), connected to my computer via a Parallel-Parallel cable (tried using a Parallel to USB cable, didnt work either). I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, and using CorelDRAW X4 software.

I can't seem to find the right drivers for the plotter, i need 64bit versions. Ive tried using generic HPGL/2 and i couldn't get those to work either. Can anyone suggest what i can do here? I've tried downloading direct from GCC but it won't let me register my product, it keeps saying its an invalid serial number. Basically chasing some direction as what to do from here, and the drivers that i need.

Also, are there any free direct cutting programs that will work from Corel? Otherwise i've got a copy of SignCut (the GCC software), and i can always get a copy of GreatCut (another GCC program).

Cheers guys :) Any help appreciated.

I would contact GCC directly by email. They have been helpful to me on and old GRC-76 plotter that needed a mainboard.

The 64-bit could be the problem.

Yeah the 64bit does appear to be the problem, i'll shoot them an email and see what they say :)

Is there any reason why the cable with the Parallel port (goes into the plotter) on one end, and the USB (into the computer) on the other shouldn't work with the right drivers? IF this is the case, i can install a 32bit operating system on my laptop. But regardless, drivers are needed!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboarding_bum View Post
    Yeah the 64bit does appear to be the problem, i'll shoot them an email and see what they say :)

Is there any reason why the cable with the Parallel port (goes into the plotter) on one end, and the USB (into the computer) on the other shouldn't work with the right drivers? IF this is the case, i can install a 32bit operating system on my laptop. But regardless, drivers are needed!

Thanks for the prompt reply!
    I run mine off a serial cable. I've read on here that the usb to parallel convertors give some problems. What kind of driver are you looking for? I don't think you'll find a windows driver. You'll most likely have to use the software from GCC.

that's the same cutter as a Vinyl Express Ultra also. So that would also work.

Just for those who stumble upon this, i got the GCC 3.12 driver package. I can upload if required. It does NOT support 64 bit operating systems though :(

Got GRC-61 working w/ Parallel-USB Adaptor

FYI: Between this current thread and another I was able to retrieve the proper drivers for the old GRC-61 that I just bought for $200 and setup the machine successfully. Finally did my first sample cut from the laptop using a Belkin Parallel (centronix) to usb adapter cord that I bought at the local DAV store. (yeah...I'm piecing it together on a shoestring budget for a small project).
    The sample cut was scaled unexpectedly but I should be able to deal w/ that pretty easily. Btw, I'm using widows XP on an Asus netbook. Time will tell....but when I hit cut... the cutter responded and worked as should be expected. I haven't heard of anyone using the parellel to usb configuration yet... so far so good though.

Driver link (http://www.signwarehouse.com/tech-su...les/index.html)

To Setup:
    1) Connect adapter between laptop/pc (I'm using widows XP on a netbook) and GRC-61.
    2) Turn on Cutter.
    3) Go to printer setups in your control panel menu of XP.
    4) Create a new printer from scratch....point setup to your downloaded drivers...choose GRC-61.
    5) After drivers install...go to properties for the new printer setup and under ports settings, choose USB001 (or the similar desc you may have). Apply.
    6) Setup and choose correct settings in your sign software...point at printer setup you just created.
    7) Cut! (I'm using a trial version of SignGo @ the moment to test out and make sure I can make the netbook talk to the machine.)

you will probably not have much luck with finding the 64 bit drivers but another solution would be to upgrade windows to a version of win 7 that will run the xp virtual mode and do the work in virtual xp with normal 32 bit drivers,...