• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

80's prismatic decals how to make?

john8000

Hi everyone, im interested to see how prismatic decals were done in the 1970s' - 80' as im interested in learning the technique. Currently i can layer a die cut, kiss cut decal onto a
prismatic background but i know this isnt the correct technique. Pro's help me out. Thanks.

Attachments

• prismatic1.jpg
    prismatic1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 226
  • prismatic2.jpg
    prismatic2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 154

damonCA21

The originals would have been machine printed using printing plates, then die cut in large sheets. This was only suitable for making large amount due to the cost of making the plates and die. Smaller runs may have been screen printed.
This is pretty much how all decals were made until the first print and cut machines. According to Roland theirs was the first with the PNC5000 in 1994, not sure when the Edge came out though ?

Christian @ 2CT Media

You could just print them on almost any current wide format printer.

But as mentioned, these were screen-printed in the past, which is not suitable or cost effective for short run.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can make them easily with a Gerber Edge and the correct "prismatic" vinyls. Regular inks are not that opaque.

spb

✨鞄➕
these days you can just buy vinyl with prismatic wheel-turned or holographic flake and print directly on that. no layering or other procedures needed, you just load it up like regular vinyl and blast it with ink, then cut it and you're done. or do like Beta says and print on clear film then laminate if it isn't ink-friendly
Regular inks are not that opaque.
the black from my Roland VS-300i covers up the holographic film with no issues

DL Signs

Never go against the family
When you print on prism materials with solvent or eco-sol inks, the prism will show through colors like the pics you posted, you just have to play with ink limits/ number of overprints to get whatever you desire for opaqueness. UV printers will be more opaque, so you can't get the prism to show through the color as well. Use a strong rich black mixture to make your blacks opaque.
Best way... Just get some and play with it.