• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel to PDF issues...

neato

I'm trying to export a file to PDF and am having issues. The file is 204" wide, so I don't know if that's part of the issue. The PDF just keeps coming up blank. I've even tried converting the entire image to bitmap, with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not a savvy Corel user but it sounds like when saving a PDF Corel might only pick up what is in the art board? If the part of the file that overlaps the art board is all white I would assume that is the reason.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The limitation is in the Adobe PDF display software you are probably using. There is a certain size of layout that Adobe products won't display (204" is definitely up there) even though the PDF is a valid one. Other PDF viewers such as Foxit (Free reader) will likely display your PDF just fine.

I've encountered this many times when trying to produce a proof of a long banner. You'll just have to make a copy of your layout on a new page at reduced size (1/2 scale, for instance) and make your PDF from that.

neato

The limitation is in the Adobe PDF display software you are probably using. There is a certain size of layout that Adobe products won't display (204" is definitely up there) even though the PDF is a valid one. Other PDF viewers such as Foxit (Free reader) will likely display your PDF just fine.

I've encountered this many times when trying to produce a proof of a long banner. You'll just have to make a copy of your layout on a new page at reduced size (1/2 scale, for instance) and make your PDF from that.

Thank you!

oldgoatroper

Is this a Corel limit? Or PDFs in general?

The printer is asking for full size :(

Not really a limit with PDFs in general and obviously not with Corel -- it's an Adobe display limit. Corel can produce PDFs over this size that other viewers have no problems with (such as Foxit, as mentioned).

Regardless, most printers worth their salt should be able to process a file given at half-scale (50%), print at 200%, for a final size of 100%

Billct2

I've had the same problem, but I believe it could just be the viewing of the file. When the print shop sends it to print is it still blank? You may have to do at half scale, which I know some printers don't like, but they are entirely capable of handling.

neato

Not really a limit with PDFs in general and obviously not with Corel -- it's an Adobe display limit. Corel can produce PDFs over this size that other viewers have no problems with (such as Foxit, as mentioned).

Regardless, most printers worth their salt should be able to process a file given at half-scale (50%), print at 200%, for a final size of 100%
I agree. Seems like many budget printers don't want to do that.
Thanks for the reply. :)

Billct2

Yea, there are several wholesale printers here who are much better at customer service than some of the big "budget" places.

ams

You need to make the PDF box the same size or larger. If it's goes past PDF's limitations, there isn't much you can do. Try saving as prepress or web to see if there is a difference.

I'm trying to export a file to PDF and am having issues. The file is 204" wide, so I don't know if that's part of the issue. The PDF just keeps coming up blank. I've even tried converting the entire image to bitmap, with the same results.

Any thoughts?
I had a similar issue doing a 40 foot banner. I was told to shrink it proportionally in a pdf, the reopen in Photoshop. Resize it and save it as a jpeg.

shoresigns

Is this a Corel limit? Or PDFs in general?

It's not an Adobe display limit. Corel is broken.

The PDF spec allows a maximum of 14,400 x 14,400 generic units, which by default are equal to 1 point, so that's effectively 200"x200". Corel saves a 204"x204" PDF, for example, as 14,688 x 14,688 units, disregarding the limit.

If standards aren't followed, we get compatibility problems. That's why standards exist, and PDF is an ISO standard. Corel is the problem here, not Adobe.

oldgoatroper

It's not an Adobe display limit. Corel is broken.

The PDF spec allows a maximum of 14,400 x 14,400 generic units, which by default are equal to 1 point, so that's effectively 200"x200". Corel saves a 204"x204" PDF, for example, as 14,688 x 14,688 units, disregarding the limit.

If standards aren't followed, we get compatibility problems. That's why standards exist, and PDF is an ISO standard. Corel is the problem here, not Adobe.

I would not say Corel is 'broken' if it allows a size larger than Adobe is currently willing to support. After all, other PDF viewers (as already mentioned) and editors allow the same transgression of the size limits that Adobe holds to.

Adobe effectively gave up control of the PDF 'standard' when they published the specs for it. As the graphics industry pushes the spec to better suit itself, Adobe is making a mistake in not adjusting along with the rest of the industry. (IMO)

So, no... Corel (or any other application supporting 'oversize' PDFs) is not 'broken' by any stretch -- I just see it that Adobe is lagging and that we have to sometimes work around that. If Adobe is smart and listening to their users, they will eventually get around to addressing this rather than stubbornly holding to their precious spec. :)

shoresigns

I would not say Corel is 'broken' if it allows a size larger than Adobe is currently willing to support. After all, other PDF viewers (as already mentioned) and editors allow the same transgression of the size limits that Adobe holds to.

Adobe effectively gave up control of the PDF 'standard' when they published the specs for it. As the graphics industry pushes the spec to better suit itself, Adobe is making a mistake in not adjusting along with the rest of the industry. (IMO)

So, no... Corel (or any other application supporting 'oversize' PDFs) is not 'broken' by any stretch -- I just see it that Adobe is lagging and that we have to sometimes work around that. If Adobe is smart and listening to their users, they will eventually get around to addressing this rather than stubbornly holding to their precious spec. :)

Sorry, but I don't think this is worth arguing if you don't understand why breaking standards is bad practice and counterproductive. PDF standards do allow for documents over 200 inches, by changing the generic units to something other than 1 point. The real limit is 15,000,000 inches, and Acrobat can display a 15,000,000 inch PDF file just fine.

Neither Coreldraw nor Illustrator have implemented support for this yet, and I don't really see that as a problem as it's normal for software to lag behind the latest standards. It is a problem that Corel uses a hack to break the limit, and it's especially problematic that they don't warn users about it.

oldgoatroper

Sorry, but I don't think this is worth arguing if you don't understand why breaking standards is bad practice and counterproductive. PDF standards do allow for documents over 200 inches, by changing the generic units to something other than 1 point. The real limit is 15,000,000 inches, and Acrobat can display a 15,000,000 inch PDF file just fine.

Neither Coreldraw nor Illustrator have implemented support for this yet, and I don't really see that as a problem as it's normal for software to lag behind the latest standards. It is a problem that Corel uses a hack to break the limit, and it's especially problematic that they don't warn users about it.

Well, I guess the issue here is what constitutes "breaking" the spec. To me, breaking the spec would could mean something like replacing elements of the spec. For instance, if a vendor began using the FooFoo Coordinate system to define shapes instead of the current coordinate system -- that would be 'breaking' the spec.

However, augmenting the usefulness of the spec, I would call... extending the spec. Increasing the size of the work area is really nothing more than changing an arbitrary number -- Adobe's arbitrary number. You know, the one they charge a premium for. And because this arbitrary number limits the usefulness for many, Adobe's recommendation is for the user to scale drawings -- which is utterly ludicrous in this era of advances in computing.

If vendors, like Corel, Foxit and others, will go out on a limb and support extending the spec, then good for them. Until Adobe relents from their protectionist stance, we'll just be mindful of these limitations and work around them when necessary.

Last edited:

JohnBFryJr

I save as pdf in corel quite a bit. Never anything that large. BUT if your art is not on the page or your page is not the correct size corel just assumes you wanted a blank page. My .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk