• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fuzzy Prints on VG540

Dr. Decal

My 3rd print head was replaced yesterday, the tech did all of the calibrations but now all of my prints have a grainy fuzziness to them. I have tried several different profiles that I usually use to no avail. The test print is perfect.

Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this, or a possible fix?

I showed it to the tech and he said he didn't know, and he would ask around. I don't really have time to wait.

Attachments

• Fuzzy Decal.jpg
    Fuzzy Decal.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 470

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah that's alignment issues for sure. It's so bad I might even think the head is physically out of alignment and not just the bi-directional.

Dr. Decal

The tech just came back by. He made a few more adjustments, and the prints are acceptable now. There is still some fuzziness in solid color areas though, and he took samples to try and figure out the problem. Physical head alignment could be the issue considering 3/4 have been replaced.

euronymous

What does your nozzle test look like? Easy to tell if bias is off by what the nozzle test looks like. Assuming your tech did everything right this time around maybe something as stupid as static is causing the lingering fuzziness

Hey Dr. Decal,

The other team members have provided great suggestions and to quickly validate if the problem is related to bi-directional calibration, a head alignment, poor heating of the material (dot gain) or environmental (static), test print in uni-directional mode. Also, increase the print heaters to their maximum value.

As for static, we've published a static bulletin available for viewing here: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/D...es/Static Suppression for Roland Printers.pdf. (Don't forget to check other causes, such as humidity around the printer, not just the room temp).

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Joe House

Is the carriage in the high or low position. If it is calibrated for one and you're printing in the other, it will really throw things off.

Robert M

Could it be an issue with the new Roland inks. I was told that quality issues with the ink have held it up from being approved by 3M for use on their wrap materials. This was said to be caused by adhesion issues, but I wonder if there is a connection. I hate to think of someone using quality 3M vinyls, having a failure, and then being told by 3M they will not cover it due to the ink.

CanuckSigns

Could it be an issue with the new Roland inks. I was told that quality issues with the ink have held it up from being approved by 3M for use on their wrap materials. This was said to be caused by adhesion issues, but I wonder if there is a connection. I hate to think of someone using quality 3M vinyls, having a failure, and then being told by 3M they will not cover it due to the ink.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the way the warantee's are written by all the vinyl manufacturers, they will have some way to get out of it, if it's not the ink, it will be the room temperature it was stored in, or the colour of shirt you wore the day you installed.