• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Dimension 200 - Sitting for 20 Years

Tristenskelly

Hello!

At my shop I have a Gerber Dimension 200 that I am interested in getting running using it for 'fun'. With my business, I run a few Gerber HS15 Plus plotters to cut sandblast stencil through Composer, but I am not so familiar with this machine.

I will be installing an outlet for this sometime this sometime soon, and cleaning the machine up before trying to turn it on (it has sat for about 20 years). I haven't been able to find too much information about getting the machine set up except for a short manual that was filed away that mostly contains information on wiring the outlet and specs about the machine.

From what I can tell, it looks like I have the necessary components - I attached some pictures (I know there is a lot of of clean up to do before I think about connecting it to power). If anybody could point me in the right direction of a good place online to help get this set up or has any tips before I try and get this running, I would appreciate it!

Further, I understand that ArtPath is the additional software that I will need to accompany Composer - I do have ArtPath, but again I am not very familiar. I haven't even begun to try and mess around with this yet, but if anyone knows a good spot to learn some basics, I appreciate this as well! I believe I have an old version of this on an older computer I have that runs either Composer version 1.56 or 2.65 for reference.

It also looks like there is an 'engraver head' in addition to the 'router' (forgive me if my terminology is off here), but I am curious of what the difference of the capability of the two.

Thank you,
Tristen

Attachments

• Dimension 200(1).jpg
    Dimension 200(1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
  • Dimension 200(2).jpg
    Dimension 200(2).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • Dimension 200.jpg
    Dimension 200.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 148

JBurton

Signtologist
Oh fun. Do be careful firing that vacuum pump up, you'll want to make sure the impeller inside spins before hooking up power.

Vassago

The other thing to remember is that old machines like this are perfect to retrofit to a modern control system. It's usually not that expensive to do depending on the state of the rest of the hardware.

Then you can use modern software, etc.

netsol

The other thing to remember is that old machines like this are perfect to retrofit to a modern control system. It's usually not that expensive to do depending on the state of the rest of the hardware.

Exactly what I was thinking

citysignshop

Hello!

At my shop I have a Gerber Dimension 200 that I am interested in getting running using it for 'fun'. With my business, I run a few Gerber HS15 Plus plotters to cut sandblast stencil through Composer, but I am not so familiar with this machine.

I will be installing an outlet for this sometime this sometime soon, and cleaning the machine up before trying to turn it on (it has sat for about 20 years). I haven't been able to find too much information about getting the machine set up except for a short manual that was filed away that mostly contains information on wiring the outlet and specs about the machine.

From what I can tell, it looks like I have the necessary components - I attached some pictures (I know there is a lot of of clean up to do before I think about connecting it to power). If anybody could point me in the right direction of a good place online to help get this set up or has any tips before I try and get this running, I would appreciate it!

Further, I understand that ArtPath is the additional software that I will need to accompany Composer - I do have ArtPath, but again I am not very familiar. I haven't even begun to try and mess around with this yet, but if anyone knows a good spot to learn some basics, I appreciate this as well! I believe I have an old version of this on an older computer I have that runs either Composer version 1.56 or 2.65 for reference.

It also looks like there is an 'engraver head' in addition to the 'router' (forgive me if my terminology is off here), but I am curious of what the difference of the capability of the two.

Thank you,
Tristen
Gerber is famous for taking really decent equipment, and rebranding it as their own. Somewhere on that machine MIGHT be a clue to the actual manufacturer...although the likelihood of parts or support being still available is dicey at best.
A nice find anyway, if you have the time and gumption to sort it all out. ArtPath was ok in it's day, but as others have said, a lot of xyz machine software is available that likely is MUCH more user friendly and capable, and still speaks the language. Artpath may not even run on newer windows machines, so there's that glitch to overcome.
Another tip....forget the vacuum for the time being, throw a slab of mdf on there, and figure out all your table parameters, z-move initializing etc.....and make your mistakes ( and there will be a few!) with a pencil taped loosely in the carriage.
Graduate to an actual router bit later! have fun! wear good double hearing protection when you get to the screaming 50,000 rpm spindle and vacuum system! ( ask me how I know!?......what?......)

Artpath is 32 bit, so consider that if you buy a new computer. I have a Dimension 200 but no vacuum system. I cut 6mm black Sintra and taped it down to the bed, then used a surface router bit to make sure everything is flat. I use the ear plugs not for the spindle but for the wet vac. Anyone know other software that will run the machine? I thought most software wouldn't work with the Dimension.

packratsigns

Premium Subscriber
Looks like that engraving head uses a fixed length bit. So you can drop in different profile bits. So you get proper engraving depths . Braille etc...

JBurton

Signtologist
So, as long as you are able to load files on the machine, be it flappy disk or network interface, there is no real improvement to be had other than interface. G-code has not changed a lick in at least 30 years. So you can use the fanciest software to make files, you'll just be limited to the original functionality at the machine. That being said, I miss the LinuxCNC setup I retrofitted onto my old multicam. Live preview, 3d view, select to start, so many things that WinCNC lacks.
Also, in my experience gutting and rebuilding a multicam, ancient stepper motors are nice, new ones less so. I had to double the power of my main axis to meet the original motors speed. Also that cabinet full of electronics is much more stable than a desktop pc build running a breakout board, so unless you go with a dedicated PCI card like WinCNC utilizes, you won't likely match the performance of the machine as originally delivered.
I use the ear plugs not for the spindle but for the wet vac.
Find a Dayton Blower, rigid pipe the intake side to the table. It's a lot quieter than a vac, and it worked well on my 8x12 bed years ago. I believe mine was just 5hp. It's also not a direct drive, so you won't burn up the motor if you run it forever with fully enclosed suction.

Tristenskelly

Did you ever get it running ?
Last month I was able to get the machine cleaned up and powered on - I had to connect a couple of wires that control the Z axis, but as far as I can tell form sending commands from the control pad, all functions seem to work properly now!

I think my next step is to send a 'test cut' to the machine and see how this performs, the only problem is that I am unsure how this works haha. I think I saw a video on youtube a while back where they went through how to get the file uploaded on the machine and select it from the control panel, but I haven't had luck finding this today.

Does anyone have any advice how to do send a cut to the machine from ArtPath?

Thanks!

netsol

Last month I was able to get the machine cleaned up and powered on - I had to connect a couple of wires that control the Z axis, but as far as I can tell form sending commands from the control pad, all functions seem to work properly now!

I think my next step is to send a 'test cut' to the machine and see how this performs, the only problem is that I am unsure how this works haha. I think I saw a video on youtube a while back where they went through how to get the file uploaded on the machine and select it from the control panel, but I haven't had luck finding this today.

Does anyone have any advice how to do send a cut to the machine from ArtPath?

Thanks!
i still cut from time to time with my smc-4 (the model BEFORE the 4B)\

your dimension 200 and my smc-4 will both still be running in another 30 years, if there is someone to operate them