• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Laminator Questions... What Is Your Experience?

player

I am looking for a new laminator that is roll to roll front roll holder and rear take-up for finished material.

I am not a heavy user so I am looking at the US Tech. Being in Canada, the dollar and whatever other reasons the prices are getting up there and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck direct from China, or if there are any other options that are out there you could recommend. You experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

player

Do you really need a rear take up?
I have not had one with the front and rear take-ups, but when doing long runs it sure would come in handy. Front and rear. They also keep tracking on track. Perhaps someone who has the take-ups could weigh in on their usefulness.

Last edited:

GB2

Old Member
You really need to set a budget for this purchase since you can get a very nice laminator, for example, in the $5000 range or you can go to the next level for $15,000. It depends on your intended use and volume. I suspect you are in the $5000 range (I wouldn't recommend anything lower than that and I definitely would not recommend any Chinese import or the Daige), so let me offer the:
Royal Sovereign RSC1400H (Possible older model #, I have not researched the newest model #s)
5 roll holders - paper • media • laminate • liner take-up • media take-up
Heat Assist
Cost effective
Excellent performance
Excellent reliability
Excellent support, warranty, service

Actually, I own this particular laminator and I never use the heat assist for general sign purposes, so depending on your specific needs, you might be able to eliminate the heat assist for some cost savings but the 5 roll holders are of critical importance. Every day I laminate rolls of printed media, which I then take off the laminator and put right into the plotter. Otherwise I'll laminate half to full rolls of media and then take it to the table for cutting, can you imagine that spilling out onto the floor? I would never get a laminator without all 5 of those roll holders.

If you want to go to the next level, I would suggest something like the Seal Pro Series. For the extra $10,000 you get the brand name, supposedly easier roll holders to swap material out with, generally perceived greater value, and possibly higher volume processing. I haven't shopped for a laminator in a long time so these days there may be other good brands and options available too.

The last thing I'd like to say at this moment is that purchasing a laminator is not like purchasing anything else. A laminator may last you many, many years. It is a simple piece of mechanical equipment that will outlast digital printers, etc. Therefore, you should anticipate your future when purchasing a laminator and purchase one that will be size appropriate for you future needs.

ironchef

Agreed, I started out with a master us tech, and after 5 years I feel it's at the end of its run. I'm looking at a royal sovereign 1650 lsh and a gbc spire III.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

player

You really need to set a budget for this purchase since you can get a very nice laminator, for example, in the $5000 range or you can go to the next level for $15,000. It depends on your intended use and volume. I suspect you are in the $5000 range (I wouldn't recommend anything lower than that and I definitely would not recommend any Chinese import or the Daige), so let me offer the:
Royal Sovereign RSC1400H (Possible older model #, I have not researched the newest model #s)
5 roll holders - paper • media • laminate • liner take-up • media take-up
Heat Assist
Cost effective
Excellent performance
Excellent reliability
Excellent support, warranty, service

Actually, I own this particular laminator and I never use the heat assist for general sign purposes, so depending on your specific needs, you might be able to eliminate the heat assist for some cost savings but the 5 roll holders are of critical importance. Every day I laminate rolls of printed media, which I then take off the laminator and put right into the plotter. Otherwise I'll laminate half to full rolls of media and then take it to the table for cutting, can you imagine that spilling out onto the floor? I would never get a laminator without all 5 of those roll holders.

If you want to go to the next level, I would suggest something like the Seal Pro Series. For the extra $10,000 you get the brand name, supposedly easier roll holders to swap material out with, generally perceived greater value, and possibly higher volume processing. I haven't shopped for a laminator in a long time so these days there may be other good brands and options available too.

The last thing I'd like to say at this moment is that purchasing a laminator is not like purchasing anything else. A laminator may last you many, many years. It is a simple piece of mechanical equipment that will outlast digital printers, etc. Therefore, you should anticipate your future when purchasing a laminator and purchase one that will be size appropriate for you future needs.
I made the mistake of buying a used Seal laminator and it has damage to the rolls I didn't see. I really messed up. Wasted $3K.

player

I bought one from sign-in-global brand new, with heat assist for 2k...nice machine.. has 5 rollers...
Thanks for replying and posting the link. Have you laminated long runs? How is the tracking? Are the roll holder brackets stiff enough? The look like they could move causing the material to go off track.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
We have a SEAL 62 Base model with Heater option. Dead on tracking. Heat helps with cheaper calendared laminates. We can lam a full 150' roll, set it and walk away (not necessarily ignore the machine, but it doesn't need any attention from us until it nears the end of the run).

ironchef

I like the seal 62 base. I too am thinking of top heat assist is necessary. I only use 3m 8508 and 8518 and never had any quality issues with the cold laminator in terms of quality. But my us tech tracking is way off, and the front motorized reel isn't working anymore. And the front roller for the backing material doesn't run at the same speed so the backing wants to fall down and get sucked up by the rollers. So I have to manually keep winding it up. I hate my ustech now. After 5 years it's dying quick. My main question is about getting top heat assist. Does it really help with wrap jobs? Or is it only for cheaper laminate?

Bly

We have a Seal 62 Base with heat on the top roller.
The heater's too weak to really make much difference with calendared film and makes no difference on cast so we rarely use it.

Jayefkay531

I am looking for a new laminator that is roll to roll front roll holder and rear take-up for finished material.

I am not a heavy user so I am looking at the US Tech. Being in Canada, the dollar and whatever other reasons the prices are getting up there and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck direct from China, or if there are any other options that are out there you could recommend. You experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A few months back we upgraded from an old Seal to the Kala Arkane 1650 65" laminator. It was product of the year at SGIA and very competitive with pricing to other popular heat-assist models. You can run it with or without heat, but I almost exclusively use heat assist to avoid any mistakes. Loading and tracking is a piece of cake - I can easily load 100+ foot rolls with perfect tracking and the only thing I have to be mindful of is nearing the end of the roll.

ironchef

Nice, I saw the Kala. How much is it? Where are you located? And where did you buy it from?