• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 media width question.

Scamper

I have a SP300 that I recently purchased as an entry into printing and this is the first time I have put in a new roll of media.
I measured the media at 620mm, but the Roland tells me it is 585mm.
I have done a bunch of research and a lot says that there can be problems with the cable and sensor board etc. But this is basically from what I can tell, measuring the distance between the rollers, as if I move the rollers in or out, it will come up with a different figure each time. I can then open and close the door and pinch rollers several times and it always measures within 1mm. So I am lead to believe it is not the cables otherwise it would be more random.

Does this machine normally do this or is there a setting that makes it do this, or has anyone got any idea as to why it is doing this?

I searched the manual and found nothing, I checked the settings and they look normal, such as edge detection. I did a test print and cut adjustment and it is perfect.
Please anyone?

damonCA21

The printer measures the printable area between the pinch rollers. If you move the rollers the printable area will change. Even though it takes 760mm wide media, it can't print this full width, about the most I get on mine is around 680mm leaving a bit of extra vinyl either side of the rollers to allows for any slight media drift as it prints.
It isn't a fault with your machine, just the way it is meant to operate

Scamper

The printer measures the printable area between the pinch rollers. If you move the rollers the printable area will change. Even though it takes 760mm wide media, it can't print this full width, about the most I get on mine is around 680mm leaving a bit of extra vinyl either side of the rollers to allows for any slight media drift as it prints.
It isn't a fault with your machine, just the way it is meant to operate
Thankyou, Everything I researched said it should be able to print the full width of the media. Which is why I thought I would ask the experts :)

MrDav3C

Definitely totally normal, on my SP540 I could get it to print 1346mm at a push when the roll is 1370mm. Still exactly the same on my SG3.

damonCA21

Thankyou, Everything I researched said it should be able to print the full width of the media. Which is why I thought I would ask the experts :)
I think they advertised it as something like 'prints on 760mm media' which is technically correct, but it can't actually print 760mm wide. You just need to accept it as the max width will be whatever you have it set up to, then make up your artwork to suit.