Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an Epson printer field technician. AMA

I was a former Dell Field Tech but now Iam repairing some of the coolest printers in the world. Ask me anything.

Since I work on Epson printers almost everyday, Ill see if I cant help out with any questions that pop up in the Epson sub forum if it relates to repairing or servicing them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Screws View Post
    I was a former Dell Field Tech but now Iam repairing some of the coolest printers in the world. Ask me anything.

Since I work on Epson printers almost everyday, Ill see if I cant help out with any questions that pop up in the Epson sub forum if it relates to repairing or servicing them.
    I don't have an Epson but that is a nice offer.
    Thank you

wayne k
    guam usa

Post Thanks / Like

That right there tells me enough about Epson printers. Good to know, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Is head replacement possible on a 50670 by the end user? I have pulled them and flushed on the bench no problem, but do I need the service program to install a new head? The 50670 I have seems to go through heads way too fast, and it's been the blue channel every time.

Thanks for offering your knowledge, it's appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SignosaurusRex View Post
    That right there tells me enough about Epson printers. Good to know, thanks!
    No more Epson printers will ever be installed in our shop again.

Post Thanks / Like
    mpn - the service program is required to input the head ID, reset the print head counter and perform any auto or manual adjustments for a print head replacement.

I recommend printing nozzle checks daily if the printer will not be used.

SignosaurusRex - I have a very large service area in and around the Philadelphia area. Where theres business theres Epson. Do you expect these large and complex machines to run flawlessly from day 1 until they reach their end of life?

Post Thanks / Like
    mpn - the service program is required to input the head ID, reset the print head counter and perform any auto or manual adjustments for a print head replacement.

I recommend printing nozzle checks daily if the printer will not be used.

SignosaurusRex - I have a very large service area in and around the Philadelphia area. Where theres business theres Epson. Do you expect these large and complex machines to run flawlessly from day 1 until they reach their end of life?

Nozzle checks have nothing to do with it & they are done multiple times a day everyday. Printer is run a lot and as far as I'm concerned it's a faulty setup that they tested out on their customers. Some folks have great luck with theirs and that's fine, but this is our second 50670 that uses up heads like this. We have other Epsons and Rolands that are still plugging away yet this model is the exception.

I do appreciate your response & have a couple more questions for you.

What would happen if a new head was put in without the servprog?

Do you know if it's possible to get the program since Epson has moved on to a newer model?

College Junior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mpn View Post

What would happen if a new head was put in without the servprog?

Do you know if it's possible to get the program since Epson has moved on to a newer model?
    My guess is it wont print, or if it does it will likely be unusable.

Epson and Decision One should be required by law to release the serveprog software for out of warranty models.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you fit a new head without the program it will print but will obviously use the previous head's ranking numbers so the ink delivery through the head will not be optimal and you would likely experience some degradation of quality.

I'm an independent Epson tech in the UK and I only work on the 30, 50 & 70 solvent range. We also run 2 x 50600 and just love them.

There are copies of the tech program available online for about $30 - One of my customers in Scotland sourced it. I'll find out where he got it and post later.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question...I have a gs6000 that needed a new mother board. When the service tech fixed it - I think he had some kind of problem with the black ink delivery system - don't know if he disconnected it or something, he was vague and covered in black ink - but when he left the black was misfiring on both A & B test print. One is almost completely missing now and the other is fuzzy with several missing nozzles. Some days it gets better - some days it is worse... I know that I should have called service back to complain - but frankly they dragged the original problem out for 2 weeks and really soaked me on labor before they figured out the original problem of the motherboard. I really don't want to see them again. Do you know what this ink problem can be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geofff View Post
    If you fit a new head without the program it will print but will obviously use the previous head's ranking numbers so the ink delivery through the head will not be optimal and you would likely experience some degradation of quality.

I'm an independent Epson tech in the UK and I only work on the 30, 50 & 70 solvent range. We also run 2 x 50600 and just love them.

There are copies of the tech program available online for about $30 - One of my customers in Scotland sourced it. I'll find out where he got it and post later.
    Geoff, much appreciated. When the printer is up and running it puts out quality work. I think there are some ink & machine design issues on Epson's end that they stuck on the end users. Ink problems that wipe out heads (GS6000 black ink seems to take out heads) and take up reel issues they have no answers for when hard proof is shown to them.

I think they should release the servprog on models they have moved on from, but it seems they want to stick it to you for as long as possible.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your time sir!

Concerning a 7800 that I am trying to resurrect (from what else, a major head/ink delivery clog). I just put in new OEM cartridges and did a system fill. At this point, I am getting 0 ink through the system. Nothing on head check, nothing in the waste tank. What I am thinking at this point is filling some empty tanks I have here with Simple Green, having the system do a new fill and letting the Green sit in the ink system for few days.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to unclog this printer or am I on the right path at this point? Also, the ink counters on the 7800 - do they count based on what should have been delivered to the paper or is there some mechanism that counts actual ink flow?

Thanks!

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    liv2b100 - your issue sounds like a failing pump cap or clogged CR Duct. When you do a cleaning, if the missing nozzles bounce around on the checks then it is a sign that the cap on the pump is not sealing properly due to ink buildup or stiff seals. Another symptom for random missing nozzles is insufficient ink flow due to a clogged CR Duct or stuck damper.

Rongage - you need to check ink flow in the lines going to the waste tank. What you described sounds like a bad pump cap or completely clogged print head. You can pull ink through the waste line with a syringe. The black trim cover on top, display panel, right ink door and right side cover must be removed.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a GS6000 thats printing broken nozzle checks. I've ran numerous cleanings and still can't get a complete grid. Do you think replacing all 8 dampers might solve this issue? The machine is about 5 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Datoshway - dampers sound like they are working. I would look at having the seals on the cap cleaned or the entire pump cap replaced.

I don't really see the GS6000 much but the last 2 I worked on I had to replace the steel carriage belt. They seem to build up dirt behind the belt and on the pullies causing too much tension and snapping the belt.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much. Would replacing the capping station be worth taking a stab?EPSON Pro GS6000 CAP HEAD ASSY / Cap Capping Top - 1530194

Datoshway - dampers sound like they are working. I would look at having the seals on the cap cleaned or the entire pump cap replaced.

I don't really see the GS6000 much but the last 2 I worked on I had to replace the steel carriage belt. They seem to build up dirt behind the belt and on the pullies causing too much tension and snapping the belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be a good start, when your in there you can do a cleaning and watch the waste lines, if ink flows through them you know the pump is working but might not be sealing properly. Also check and clean the wiper blade too.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a s50675, keep getting an error message about service part 2000. Can not find anything online or in the manual about it. Any help?

I like a few other havent been pleased with this machine. It's a year old and have already had both print heads replaced under warranty.

We have several 9900s and have used 9800 and 9600 models previously for proofing for our offset presses. They were workhorses, this one is a bit picky.

Post Thanks / Like
    dsmskyline - I couldnt find a service manual for the S50675, I looked at the service manual for the S50670 and Maintenance Request 2000 is the CR Scale near end of life.

Inspect your CR Scale for ink over spray buildup. You can remove it and clean it with Windex, when I replace CR Scales I have the new one and tape it to the one to be replaced and pull it through the CR Scale Sensor on the back of the Carriage Assembly. You will need the service program to reset the counter and remove the message from the printer display panel.

The DTG F2000 over spray is so bad for some reason that Epson designed it with an exhaust fan and filter on the left side to help keep the over spray off the CR Scale. I always remove and clean/replace the CR Scale when ever I service them. $20,000 a pop but they are awesome machines, some day...

As you can imagine these machines can be sensitive to temperature and humidity. All Epson wide format printers will develop their own "personality" with use. These are professional machines that dont like to sit unused. Some of my customers run the wheels off their printers, others once or twice a week. Last year I had just under 100 service calls and I can only think of 2 customers that said they were not happy with their Epson printer and would consider other brands for their next printer.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea what could be causing this?

I'm an Epson printer field technician. AMA-2016-09-08-17-24-22-jpg

s30670

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by subarutex View Post
    Any idea what could be causing this?

I'm an Epson printer field technician. AMA-2016-09-08-17-24-22-jpg

s30670
    Are those streaks in the direction of travel of the vinyl?
    That happens to me, when the media is buckling slightly in between the pinch rollers. Fought with this, just this weekend on some perf that printed fine a couple weeks ago... Lowering heat in the platen area might help. Looking forward to other replies.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct. The streaks are in the direction the vinyl is traveling.

Lowering heat sometimes helps, but it is hit or miss. I can print the same job 3 times in a row. Have the 1st one be fine, the 2nd one with streaks, and the 3rd one be perfect again.

I have also investigated if it is caused by static.

One of those random errors that just drives you crazy.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you look through the viewing window you can sometimes see the vinyl puckering up where those streaks are. I believe re-aligning both your takeup reel and feed reels using will help with that. If the vinyl is trying to go left or right due to misalignment, it wants to bunch up a bit, and you see these ridges appear usually between pinch roller sets.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for doing this.

We recently bought a Artis 3060u using a Epson L801 piezo electric printhead. Weve had bugs over bugs since day1 but were now having a new bug (printer is 1month old..).

Basically its a UV flatbed, when we start a printing run, it stops with like 1cm to print left (we print on silicon phone cases). It does a weird sound and then stops working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4rybPI6_m4

at 0:26

We can sometimes run 1-2 successfull print before it starts bugging, but the bug always come back. Sometimes it wont let us print anything and will just bug over bug.

Thanks for your time!

Premium Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got an epson s80600. Do you mind shooting me a pm with contact info. In case I need it down the road. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi - Welcome - and it is great you are supporting our Epsons.

We have an Epson GS6000 and it runs runs runs. 7yrs old and going strong.
    We've replaced 2 heads on separate occasions. no other problems.

We run full rolls overnight unattended. no problem.

I occasionally get a service error 1136 when the carriage doesn't fully return to capping station. Any ideas as to why?
    If I manually push it into the lock on the capping station - reboot - it works fine. annoying and only does it on occasion.

I am ordering a complete cap station assembly to swap it out just in case maybe the capping station is not allowing it to fully move to the right to lock.
    Home page

Any insight is appreciated.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello

thanks for offering your expertise.

My s30670 goes for about an hour and drops out Y1 and sometimes, rarely BK2. clean it and it comes back but drops out again very shortly. let it sit for a couple hours, it runs just fine for a while and starts the cycle again. thoughts?

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiberGraphix View Post
    Hello

thanks for offering your expertise.

My s30670 goes for about an hour and drops out Y1 and sometimes, rarely BK2. clean it and it comes back but drops out again very shortly. let it sit for a couple hours, it runs just fine for a while and starts the cycle again. thoughts?
    I think I might have some bad news for you... I don't think that will go away.
    Known issue with first gen surecolors.. and my S30 for sure.
    No rhyme or reason that I can figure out. Neither could the local techs. Went through 5-8 heads (not sure..), was all no cost to me except for downtime and reprints, as we had extended warranty.
    Now word is that the new head on the S40/60/80 has this solved, along with some other issues.

Call me a glutton for punishment but we are bringing in a S40 to replace our S30.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I have 2 GS6000s...mostly trouble free except for the Black ink channel. In the past 120 days we have had to replace the black ink head not once not twice but now 3 times!(one printer). Repair tech (not D-1) has installed last chance filters..flushed lines...subtank and all that happy stuff. He insists that the ink is the issue(OEM) full of particles - different cartridges / dates and so on. Epson wont fess up to the problem (Sir you are out of warranty-we no longer sell that printer)-blah blah blah. Yet, they still sell CRAP black inks that's for sure causing clogged nozzles and unusable heads.! Had a D-One tech tell me the same thing (epson has a problem with the ink but wont cop up to it). So, the question is this.... replace the head while still under part warranty (pay labor) or take a sledge hammer to it and post it to YouTube?

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you say you have replaced the black ink head do you mean the blank damper inside the head? There are two heads and 4 dampers in each head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast