Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!

HAVE A SMALL NOTEBOOK/LAPTOP 32 GIG h/d. loaded this crap on to it....ate up most of the hard drive.....had 28 gigs free before 1607, now i got 5 GIGS......FREE!!!!!
    YOU GOT 10 DAYS..... to remove it.....and go bacl to version 1511...........which is what iam doing now.

Post Thanks / Like
    did it have windows 7 on it? Did you have updates turned on?...TURN THEM OFF!

Post Thanks / Like
    1st i am a computer geek..... this NOTEBOOK/LAPTOP was bought with WINDOWS 10 on it........... the newer versions dont have the ability to turn off updates.... all you can do is set the time WHEN IT WILL DO THEM......CORTANA...... for me is useless.........and it keeps throwing pop ups it want to help me.....GO AWAY.... is the best you can do))))WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!-iviewmax-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Im on windows 7 i didnt know you couldnt turn off windows 10 updates, lol sneaky sons of &%#$@s.

Merchant Member WildWestDesigns's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by visual800 View Post
    Im on windows 7 i didnt know you couldnt turn off windows 10 updates, lol sneaky sons of &%#$@s.
    If you have auto updates on Win 7 and Win 8 past a certain point, it seems that they have removed the ability to cut off updates.

However, all versions of 10 won't allow you to turn off updates at all. Home versions won't even allow you to defer them like you can in Pro and Enterprise.

I don't know if they have switched back, but there was a deal to where Pro users had some abilities and they were taken out in the anniversary update. I don't know if they had put them back in or not. That had led to quite a stink.

I do believe that there is a 3rd party program that will block updates in Win 10. Like with all 3rd party programs (particularly of this nature) use at your own risk.

Updating a system is needed in of itself. Systems need to be patched, holes need to be plugged. Problem is, it seems like MS adds more fluff versus substance.

This is why I will not run a new Win OS installed on bare metal. VM with internet denied. To a degree, I can understand issues with updates not working well with all the components when it comes to MS updates. Think of all the hardware/software combinations that are there running Windows. Shoot, even Mac from time to time has problems and they have a much tighter grip on that. It's a mess for sure.
    Facebook

Stock Embroidery Designs Store

Embroidery and Embroidery Digitizing

Email: evan@wildwestdesigns.biz

Post Thanks / Like
    to make matters worse........trying to go back to 1511.......now got me locked out of the computer....going to have to to a total reinstall O/S........WIN 10 IS JUNK!!!!

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    GWX Control Panel is what I use and used to block w10 auto update on my win7 and 8 PC's.

I don't know if it lets me update win7 with win7 updates though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    GWX Control Panel is what I use and used to block w10 auto update on my win7 and 8 PC's.

I don't know if it lets me update win7 with win7 updates though.
    If I'm understanding OP's plight correctly, his computer already comes with Win 10. It wasn't an update to it.

One thing that I have noticed with Win 10's updates is that it sometimes will pick up slightly older drivers when it updates. Might want to check to make sure that it also hasn't done that as well.

If this is just a light use laptop and not one needed for some type of production, why not just load a Linux distro on it? It all depends on what your use is for it, but I don't see your "love" for Win 10 improving down the road.
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    We're running 6 PC's with Win10 at the shop, never had any issues with compatibility, crashing, driver problems, anything at all. I was hesitant to make the switch originally - did one PC as a trial. Almost immediately, I updated every other PC that was eligible.

Ilike it; it's fast, functional, and looks sleek. What else do you need? It takes about a minute to disable Cortana, and the other Behavior learning/tracking stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    We're running 6 PC's with Win10 at the shop, never had any issues with compatibility, crashing, driver problems, anything at all. I was hesitant to make the switch originally - did one PC as a trial. Almost immediately, I updated every other PC that was eligible.
    Dad's was horrible. He still has compatibility problems every now again that results in waiting until his software vendors get it fixed in an update.

it's fast, functional, and looks sleek. What else do you need?
    It's the culture that surrounds it that I'm not happy with. I do agree with the first 2 points, the 3rd grew on me. To the point that the Linux distro that I use looks like Win 10 on 2 of the 3 computers.

It takes about a minute to disable Cortana, and the other Behavior learning/tracking stuff.
    If you have Pro or Enterprise, it is fairly easy to disable Cortana. For those that may have Home, that would be a registry edit and how many people in the Windows world mess with the registry? Especially for those that would have the Home versions? They should have just left the toggle on/off switch were it was.

Registry is this wonderful place to make customization, but yet, people were told not to mess with the registry because it could break things.

Here is the thing that you have to worry about with auto updates, things can change, some things that aren't reversible. You might get an update that makes it hard to run on the hardware that you have. Always updating, even for what updates are meant to be for (fixing/patching etc) leads to instability, something that "you" do not want in a work environment. For the home user, not the big of a deal, but for the production environment, it's very much a big deal as that directly affects stability.
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a solution for Cortana, Anniversary addition

How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update

College Junior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to check out on your W10 installs relating to automatic updates...If you leave this option turned on your PC becomes part of a "mesh-network" and your PC and internet connection are used to update other peoples computers. Under Settings/Update & security/Advanced Options/Choose how updates are delivered/ and then make sure the off/on toggle is set to OFF.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    WELLLLLLLLLLLL....... it didnt work taking it back to 1511 version from ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607...... got a screen saying that i could either turn off the pc or try to fix it......AND NO OTHER WINDOW!!!!
    i have the softwear from the IVIEW WHICH WILL DO A TOTAL RE-INSTALL back to basic. YES it is WINDOWS HOME edition....i use for nothing more then what most of you do with your phone....... BUT 71 YEAR old eyes........ dont see those little screens well, so i got this notebook/laptop for that. so HOME edtion is all i need.
    its up and runnng.........

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are just using it more like we do for our phones, then just try to see about getting a Linux install.

Thing is with the Home version, you might have to deal with this for any update that comes along.
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    i have LINUX on another h/d and really like it.......may just wipe the WIN10 CRAP.....and do linux.....all i basically do is go to OPREA.. (my choice for browser) and do internet on it......32 gig hard drive......dont give much for any apps......i ordered a 128 GIG micro sds card for it........so i will have close to 200 gig......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPaint View Post
    i have LINUX on another h/d and really like it.......may just wipe the WIN10 CRAP.....and do linux.....all i basically do is go to OPREA.. (my choice for browser) and do internet on it......32 gig hard drive......dont give much for any apps......i ordered a 128 GIG micro sds card for it........so i will have close to 200 gig......
    See if the apps that you like are available as an AppImage so you can actually run them off a thumb drive or other external device. No installation needed. Just chmod the file(app) and run.
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing i cant run on linux is COREL........which is my lifelong partner(since 1992) BUT INKSCAPE is linux compatable..and iam learning it.....and liking it...
    the one thing i like about the little 11.6" laptop/notebook......its a touch screen.......just like the cell phones......ONLY BIGGER))))this IVIEW is quadcore processor and the battery will go for 8 hours ........and got it on sale $149.00 was $299.00........WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!-iviewmax-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing i cant run on linux is COREL........which is my lifelong partner(since 1992) BUT INKSCAPE is linux compatable..and iam learning it.....and liking it...
    Inkscape is OK. There are some things though that I don't like how it does, but it's OK.

Could always try to install WINE (if you don't use a distro that has it already installed) and see if you can get it to run with that compatibility layer. It doesn't work all the time, but worth a shot. I have gotten everything from Word 97 to Wilcom TrueSizer E3 (most recent program that I run using WINE, E3 line came out in 2013, so it is recent) to run off it using WINE.
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    1st i am a computer geek.....

Computer geeks aren't allowed mullets anymore.
    Read that comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    ME AND MY SUNBURST TANGERINES.................and MULLET WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!-dscf4686s-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    its turned more into the crazy professor form BACK TO THE FUTURE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!-joezuse-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    ME AND MY SUNBURST TANGERINES.................and MULLET WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!-dscf4686s-jpg
    OP looks like you need to jump into the Delorean and wait for the lightning to strike.
    Happy New Year to you.....!!!!!!!!!!

wayne k
    guam usa

HAH you and I were typing at the same time, you beat me to the send key.

whk
    Last edited by GAC05; 12-30-2016 at 01:51 AM. Reason: timing

Post Thanks / Like
    WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1607..........and the additin of the pest CORTINA!!!-joezuse-jpg
    You need to be made of stone, to rock a MULLET)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Read that comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats actually my chest))))

Post Thanks / Like
    its turned more into the crazy professor form BACK TO THE FUTURE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    1st i am a computer GREEK.....

Premium Subscriber
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

if you have trouble with this create an a record so the pc looks for update servers in the wrong ip range and can't find them.

Post Thanks / Like
    that will work...........thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing Win 10 does is use your computer and internet connection like a bit torrent to supply others with updates. Odd how no one mentioned that. You are paying for internet that Win 10 is using free of charge. This scheme also slows your internet connection.

This was brought up in my recent IT class and confirmed by the shop that built my latest PC. Th owner of the shop told me about a business that got along fine with T1 line until Win 10. After the automatic "upgrade" their whole system crashed because of Win 10's behind the scenes internet usage. Since it would have been cost prohibitive to upgrade the internet they had their system reverted.

Our new PC build runs Win 7 Pro and has had any and all upgrade paths permanently disabled. A software engineer on their staff worked his magic.

Gotta ask yourself if you mind paying for fast internet that someone else is using and making it no so fast anymore.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjssigns View Post
    This was brought up in my recent IT class and confirmed by the shop that built my latest PC. Th owner of the shop told me about a business that got along fine with T1 line until Win 10. After the automatic "upgrade" their whole system crashed because of Win 10's behind the scenes internet usage. Since it would have been cost prohibitive to upgrade the internet they had their system reverted.

Our new PC build runs Win 7 Pro and has had any and all upgrade paths permanently disabled. A software engineer on their staff worked his magic.

Gotta ask yourself if you mind paying for fast internet that someone else is using and making it no so fast anymore.
    A T-1 line is NOT fast nor enough bandwidth for a legitimate connection to the internet past basic browsing these days. 1.54 megabit per second is easily swamped by just a few computers.
    I don't agree with the torrentlike method MS and a lot of other software vendors are using for updates. But its better to keep updated than not. If your mission critical apps have to be networked they shouldn't be on one that is internet accessible EITHER WAY. Update problem solved and no 16 year old kid in Lower BlogoSlovakia can use it as a playground.

As far as laptops for personal use like OldPaint is playing with? Don't buy a computer at the price point of a video game and expect it to have the speed/memory/hard drive space or any of the flexibility of something built to run more than a browser. Jeezus 159 and you're whining about hard drive space. You'd not hesitate to slap down a young whippersnapper who did a similar thing for, say, painting words on a sign right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victor6er View Post
    I don't agree with the torrentlike method MS and a lot of other software vendors are using for updates. But its better to keep updated than not.
    Not necessarily. Updates bring instability, hopefully only in the sort term.

However, there is a difference between being just updated and being bleeding edge. Bleeding edge, you are in a perpetual state of "beta". And if MS is really going the "rolling release" model, "you" are essentially always in "beta". Especially for those that are using the HOME version of the OS.

I ran office work using Fedora (each version goes EOL on average every 13 months) and it's not fun. Some updates could cause instability, because they were new packages with all the latest and greatest features. Which is how MS is pushing Win 10.

Quote Originally Posted by victor6er View Post
    If your mission critical apps have to be networked they shouldn't be on one that is internet accessible EITHER WAY. Update problem solved and no 16 year old kid in Lower BlogoSlovakia can use it as a playground.
    This. There is no reason to always believe need to be on the latest and greatest. If it works, stick with it. It's stable, it doesn't cause down time.

If it's LAN only and no outside connection, then you don't have to worry about it when the OS goes EOL. The only thing then is worrying about hardware support or going the route of VMs (which is my poison of choice).

You also don't have to worry about anti-virus/malware programs on production rigs either, which can also zap resources.
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast