Master of Arts
    Post Thanks / Like

It happened . . .

You know when stroll into the print room to check on your latest creation coming out of the printer. Admiring your work and thinking that's another job well done and then your eyes get drawn to something. One little word, missing one little letter. What follows most likely isn't appropriate to share, and then you walk away in shame for not pressing F7 before sending the job.

Darn it. It was something for our front area, and luckily nothing too big, but man, haven't done that in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawksigns View Post
    ...haven't done that in a while.
    at least 3 days. hah
    Happens too me way too often. Sometimes after three pair of eyes on it before approval.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many times has that happen to you? This is my 40th year in printing and 16 year in wide format. And I still make those mistakes. And why does it seems that it occurs mostly at the end of a run. All I think about is the INK - MEDIA & TIME just wasted. Glad I raise my prices 3-6% a year. To cover those loses.

Last edited by copythat; 01-10-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it makes you feel better one of our printers just screwed up a third attempt at printing a damn 12' banner. Every single time, stops printing 11' in, no matter what I do.

College Junior
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJPW View Post
    If it makes you feel better one of our printers just screwed up a third attempt at printing a damn 12' banner. Every single time, stops printing 11' in, no matter what I do.
    Not sure what printer you're running, but I seem to recall having this issue crop up once or twice before on our Roland. I think it was a problem with the file because we eventually fixed it by exporting a new production file and re-ripping.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shoresigns View Post
    Not sure what printer you're running, but I seem to recall having this issue crop up once or twice before on our Roland. I think it was a problem with the file because we eventually fixed it by exporting a new production file and re-ripping.
    Either that or typically for me, it's that the RIP split the file because it had the wrong media dimensions.

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shoresigns View Post
    Trying
    to print this damn thing on our XR-640.... I'm so confused/annoyed. Just wasted the 4th print.

Customer supplied JPEG. Doesn't load in VW, says it's corrupted. Okay no problem, open in PS resave as PS PDF. Huuuuge file size.

Resave at lower resolution, rips eventually, prints great for 11' then just sketches out and advances to print the end trim marks while forgetting to print the last foot of the banner.

I'm pissed...I've wasted hours on this ONE banner. Rebooted, resaved, restarted everything and get the same f'ing result.

Flipped it thinking it was something on the one end of the file, but nope it does it after 11' regardless. Like the data isn't making it all the way. I give up.

Maybe I'll try the XC-540 tomorrow..... waste some ink on that one instead.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had 4 wasted prints, I would try to print the last 1 foot on them. Load the first one, make a note of how far it's off, then adjust the next one when you load it. Heck......It's worth a try. you might get lucky.

What else are you gonna do with them.......Throw them away.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worst feeling ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    I never catch my errors until printer is at 99% finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Least you caught it before it walked out the door! Had a loyal customer come back wanting to replace his old vinyl store front sign, no changes, just a reprint. We look at the file we have in our system and go white because a worker who's long gone misspelled "Protection" as "Protectoin" and that masterpiece was up for 10+ years...