Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like

Man cave door wrap

I just finished up a job for a client. Wrapped 2 metal garage doors. Smooth finish. I used 3Mij180c with gloss lamination. Sizes were 36"x74" yes they were cut down in height. The customer feels that the cost is to much. I charged him $180.00 per side. Am I that way out of price range? Thank you in advance for you input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all. In fact, using that material, I'd say you're a little on the light side. Probably be closer to $600 at least.

Didn't this goofball know the price going in before you started ?? How do you get a deposit, if the customer doesn't know the cost up front ??

Everybody should believe in something.... I believe I'll have another drink

Merchant Member to the Trade

Post Thanks / Like
    your price is in the neighborhood. we would be about $150 ea. and that is the door brought to us and prepped.

Like Gino said, the customer should have known the amount BEFORE the work started.
    If they wanted bottom dollar
    1. let them install
    2. use calendared
    3. non-laminated

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He knew off the bat that I charge $10.00 Sq ft on this. I just finished a 36"x36" bar table top for him and charged him $100.00. He didn't seem concerned with that price. I told him to add the Sq footage up. I did however charge a $250.00 design fee because all he brought in was a picture of what he would like the doors to look like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitecsignsinc View Post
    I did however charge a $250.00 design fee because all he brought in was a picture of what he would like the doors to look like.
    Can we see the design?
    Read that comment.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man cave door wrap-20170105_171446-jpg

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also painted the white areas black

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you did a nice job and the customer got a good deal from you. I like Gino's pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    People with square feet are never good with numbers - need to give them the total up front.
    Man cave door wrap-eng_foot_type-gif

Job looks good - I wonder if the look might have improved a little with a matte or luster lam over the top.

wayne k
    guam usa

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good man. I agree with the other two fellows... You charged him a sweet deal.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome. That price is totally fair. I agree with the matte or luster though. I try to push matte for any interior stuff like that to avoid those hot spots from interior lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Price is more than fair and my 1st thought on the pics were nice but should be luster as well.

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you did a killer job. I think you deserve more than what you charged.

I'd work on your pricing and quoting a bit now. Figure out realistic raw material costs, figure out your markup, labor etc, and quote ahead of time, and forget the square foot pricing. Price it based on the perceived value, not how many inches of materials used. What you've given the customer there is not something he can walk into any store and buy, and for this reason shouldn't be treated as a commodity.

We all know sometimes those projects you just start working on it and have no real idea of how long it will take, but for both you and the customer's sake having a price agreed upon before any work is done is key in order for both parties to walk away happy. (and I've definitely been guilty of doing exactly what you did)

Take it as a lesson learned, and next time you do a kick a$$ job like that make sure you get paid what you deserve.

Post Thanks / Like
    so you charged him $250 for the design and $180 per side for a total of $610?

if so, that is a fair price for the work.

just wondering why the cost wasn't settled before hand. I mean, I have customers that don't ask what the cost is going to be, but the second part of the equation is that they never balk at what I charge...

Post Thanks / Like
    You probably installed them too fast. Sometimes if there's a flat surface install and it goes fast, they either get it in their heads that they could have done it...or they think, WHA...I'm paying that for just a half hours work?

Premium Subscriber jsmoritz2000's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    $180 for the decals is about where we'd be. $10 per sq. is about our average rate for this type of laminated material on a job that size. Then I would have been at about $25.00 for installation of each one. If you painted the edges too, you did him a really nice deal.