Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Preppie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Eco-Sol printing tips

    Hi all! My questions may seem crazy so please bare with me..

    I'm looking for an eco-solvent printer that can print on office/digital glossy paper (e.g Xerox ColorTech). My normal aqueous/dye/inkjet printer just bleeds and smudges on this paper (obviously).

    1. Would an eco-sol printer work with this paper as I've heard the pre/post heating of the paper allows this?

    2. Is there a thin/white vinyl that can be used like a paper for wall posters and POS signs etc?

    3. I'm trying to avoid the resin/tacky/thick feel of inkjet photo-paper. Are eco-solvent paper coatings similar?


    Only need basic 4 CMYK colors to start, min 18", roll or sheet. Considering the Mutoh VJ628 printer to get started, if you have any suggestions please let me know. Hoping the Rip with this would allow for heat/pass adjustments.

  2. #2
    Master of Arts VanderJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are papers for solvent printers. Any paper with a coating on it will not work well with solvent. The VJ628 is a good starter machine and the software allows you to adjust pretty much everything about the printer. Most solvent printable paper I have seen does not have a sticky finish to it.

  3. #3
    Preppie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by VanderJ View Post
    Any paper with a coating on it will not work well with solvent.
    Would you know how aqueous/dye/inkjet paper coating is different to solvent coating?

    My goal is to find a thin and semi-glossy paper similar to Xerox office/laser paper that will work with eco-sol. I'll see if I can get some solvent paper samples and go from there.

  4. #4
    Master of Arts VanderJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference is that the solvent paper doesn't have a special coating other than what makes it glossy or matte. Water based inks require a coating for the inks to adhere properly. Solvent inks eat that coating away and the ink rubs right off. Solvent was made specifically to print on non-coated materials.

  5. #5
    College Freshman Johnny Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go on Lexjet website and pick the paper that will work with eco solvent. You can call them and ask your questions and they are very knowledgeable about their products.

  6. #6
    Preppie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VanderJ
    The difference is that the solvent paper doesn't have a special coating other than what makes it glossy or matte. Water based inks require a coating for the inks to adhere properly. Solvent inks eat that coating away and the ink rubs right off. Solvent was made specifically to print on non-coated materials.
    A lot of the solvent papers I'm seeing are coated in resin exactly the same as water-based inkjet. I'll order some samples and go from there.

  7. #7
    Merchant Member BigfishDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertsol View Post
    Hi all! My questions may seem crazy so please bare with me..

    I'm looking for an eco-solvent printer that can print on office/digital glossy paper (e.g Xerox ColorTech). My normal aqueous/dye/inkjet printer just bleeds and smudges on this paper (obviously).

    1. Would an eco-sol printer work with this paper as I've heard the pre/post heating of the paper allows this?

    2. Is there a thin/white vinyl that can be used like a paper for wall posters and POS signs etc?

    3. I'm trying to avoid the resin/tacky/thick feel of inkjet photo-paper. Are eco-solvent paper coatings similar?


    Only need basic 4 CMYK colors to start, min 18", roll or sheet. Considering the Mutoh VJ628 printer to get started, if you have any suggestions please let me know. Hoping the Rip with this would allow for heat/pass adjustments.
    I have you considered latex? Latex is a great ink set for Papers, especially uncoated. You cannot do custom posters any cheaper then with latex or UV. I do latex poster papers in the $0.07 sq.ft range which is impossible with eco-solvent.
    Your #1 Material Source For: Window Perf Graphics, Wall Graphics, Tradeshow Graphics, Floor Graphics, Backlit Graphics, and Poster Graphics.
    We also offer a full line of UV Pressure Sensitive Laminates and Mounting Adhesives.
    Gans Ink & Supply is also distributing machines from: HP, Mimaki, Oki-Data, GFP Laminators, and Graphtec

    WWW.GANSDIGITAL.COM

  8. #8
    Preppie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfishDM View Post
    have you considered latex?
    Oh yes! I'll be doing a lot of vinyl print/cut heat transfers to cotton and heard latex isn't good for that. If I can't get the desired look/feel I need with eco-sol I'll look towards latex.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigfishDM View Post
    I do latex poster papers in the $0.07 sq.ft range
    I'm assuming you're running a HP.. Is that price of ink or the paper? Thanks for your help.

  9. #9
    Merchant Member BigfishDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you had latex you could just print directly to the cotton. Latex does heat set vinyl just like the other machines also. You would get a stand alone cutter and you would be super effective, I understand your decision BUT I would get some samples from both so you KNOW what each can do.

    Yes I run HP Latex and Mimaki Eco-Solvent and Dye Sub in our demo rooms and that is the price of just the paper.
    Your #1 Material Source For: Window Perf Graphics, Wall Graphics, Tradeshow Graphics, Floor Graphics, Backlit Graphics, and Poster Graphics.
    We also offer a full line of UV Pressure Sensitive Laminates and Mounting Adhesives.
    Gans Ink & Supply is also distributing machines from: HP, Mimaki, Oki-Data, GFP Laminators, and Graphtec

    WWW.GANSDIGITAL.COM

Similar Threads

  1. Worried about printing with Eco-Sol inks?
    By graphix28 in forum General Signmaking Topics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
  2. Eco-Sol Printing: Solid Colours - Tips/Advice
    By Custom_Grafx in forum Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
  3. Anyone printing with a CJ500 w/Eco-sol inks?
    By oliver5528 in forum Roland
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 08:23 PM
  4. Gray printing issues... (VP-540 w/eco-sol)
    By gktibฎ in forum Roland
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 


» Search for Fonts at Signs 101


Looking for fonts? We highly recommend MyFonts.com

MyFonts

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0