Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    I could not even read this cause
    I am so drunk
    the younger folks type tl;dr
    nothing but whiskey and call of duty: black ops this way, fer the evening... though a girlfriend would be better investment of teh time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    I could not even read this cause
    I am so drunk but if you haev to put this much thought into some web forum ypu might need to think about getting a girlfriend or something!!! seriously!

11:30 on a Saturday night and your home alone

Go Figure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradster941 View Post
    11:30 on a Saturday night and your home alone

Go Figure...
    "you're"

Glass houses...

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a plotter, Hope to gain some insight here

Hi all
    I bought a plotter last year. I was so busy Painting and Airbrushing I am just getting the time to dedicate to learning the machine software.
    I want to use it to make some templates, cut out some lettering etc...

I have been Custom Painting and Airbrusing for over 18 years. A guy on line here told me about a Company in Florida to buy my first cutter / plotter from , so I did.

They sent me a program called Klik N Kut . I think its based on something called Sign lab if I understood correctly.

I am just getting the basics, Any help is appreciated. This one has a Mico Stepper, The guy told me its a little better than a regular Stepper Motor. I dont know, At least I can maybe learn on it.

I read the post for Newbies . I am going to get the Book " Mastering Layout the art of eye appeal" by Mike Stevens

The guy who taught me to Airbrush many years ago, Was also a sign painter. He also taught us how to make our own Mahl Stick ( I may not have spelled that correctly ) It is a great tool for balancing your brush while working on painted lettering.

Well, I hope I can ask a few questions here. I want to get this machine Rocking out some letters or negative paint templates for some airbrush designs and maybe be able to make some lettering for my vehicle

Thanks
    Cuz

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cuztumfx View Post
    Hi all
    I bought a plotter last year. I was so busy Painting and Airbrushing I am just getting the time to dedicate to learning the machine software.
    I want to use it to make some templates, cut out some lettering etc...

I have been Custom Painting and Airbrusing for over 18 years. A guy on line here told me about a Company in Florida to buy my first cutter / plotter from , so I did.

They sent me a program called Klik N Kut . I think its based on something called Sign lab if I understood correctly.

I am just getting the basics, Any help is appreciated. This one has a Mico Stepper, The guy told me its a little better than a regular Stepper Motor. I dont know, At least I can maybe learn on it.

I read the post for Newbies . I am going to get the Book " Mastering Layout the art of eye appeal" by Mike Stevens

The guy who taught me to Airbrush many years ago, Was also a sign painter. He also taught us how to make our own Mahl Stick ( I may not have spelled that correctly ) It is a great tool for balancing your brush while working on painted lettering.

Well, I hope I can ask a few questions here. I want to get this machine Rocking out some letters or negative paint templates for some airbrush designs and maybe be able to make some lettering for my vehicle

Thanks
    Cuz

Not sure why you would start a thread and then double post in another thread that isn't related....?

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice post sir. if there is only a thank button on your post then i will click a thousand times. ^_^ thanks a lot...

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post been in sign industry since 96 self taught learning never ends.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    A very good reminder. Your words are encouraging and inspirational. I'm grateful your here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although new to this forum I'm not to signs. My competition is making a killing with digital signs that are hard to read. I started with a brush and learned the hard way. Still learning everyday. Good posts
    Last edited by rickzan; 11-09-2011 at 12:59 PM.

College Sophomore Sign-Man Signs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Been making signs for about 20 years now. To this date, I have not made a sign I am happy with. My point is no matter how good you are, you can always be better. I started with hand painting and advanced to modern day digital printing. I like hand painted signs better but the labor involved is not very profitable. The amount of knowledge I have gained form this site is priceless.
    Newbies are just that. Keep doing the best you can and eventually all the small stuff will fall in place. Never be afraid to learn or try something new.
    Post your work here and you will receive good and bad reviews. Just the nature of the forum and the professionals that visit here.
    Best post I've seen in years. Well done!

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone i had done some vinyl work some years ago. installing lettering and Printed Media on Different Substrates and vehicles . I was thinking About doing the clear bra Front Wraps . Any feedback Would be Appreciated Thank You .

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with this post 100%! You have to accept the good with the bad, & if you can't then sign making, decals, etc. is not a business you should be getting into. Customers are gonna be hard on you to start with but you should be your biggest critqe if not then your def doing something wrong. We just started messing with vinyl in Jan. We are hoping to eventually be able to start a business, were just not at that level yet. I accept any and all input (good or bad), cuz it can only make me better. We have done work on a cpl race cars & some other vinyl work. I'm sure it could be better so we are gonna strive to make it better... Thank you for the inspiring words!

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    very well said Sensei... why give up the talent/skill/passion we love doing... :) I won't.. i just have to remember these line too: "stay foolish. stay hungry." ^_~

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Your story brought a tear to my eyes. I to have felt a lot of criticism as a musician composer mostly but as low as i have felt walking out of a meeting i have always bounced back. your story inspires me even more to become learn this craft and perhaps have a side income doing something that interests me. Thanks again for this sticky and i am honestly beginning to love this place after one day..

Post Thanks / Like
    Signmaniac ..Great post...Thank you...It was interesting, inspiring truth.

What is great to see is others making use of these basic natural design guide lines, that eye & mind see.

Look at this 2 1/2 yrs later this post comes back up as value.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless it fails, if my customer is happy so am I. There are limits I won't cross when making a sign( no neon colors...it's not the 90's) but the design is always tweaked by the customer. So much so sometimes I know it's too much. I try to gently persuade them back to decent but sometimes "they just want it to be as big as possible".
    My pet peeve is when they see your design & ask you to tweak it then ask what you think of their " new sign". If the city says its ok then it's going up. As long as the quality of work is excellent I say let there be ugly signs in the world.

Master of Arts
    Post Thanks / Like
    No truer words can be spoken.....You get what you pay for. We can all strive to do better and I can't stop myself from looking at every sign I pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Great...

Really good post. Couldnt have put it any better than that. Good for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post and glad to see it as a sticky!

I am one of those that got a University Degree in design and branding and worked in the advertising for many years before moving into the sign business - you get thick-skinned showing your ideas and the more negative/creative feedback you get, the better you become.

In todays market it seems we all need to be good at production, marketing and design - thank goodness for the internet and sites like Signs 101 to make the learning curve a little easier for everyone.

-sheldon

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a new person here I read this and still comet o the same question.
    Where would a person learn to desgin signs.
    The most common answer I read is , that you are going to do it by yourself.
    Or did I miss something in the answers.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mezalick View Post
    As a new person here I read this and still comet o the same question.
    Where would a person learn to desgin signs.
    The most common answer I read is , that you are going to do it by yourself.
    Or did I miss something in the answers.
    Michael
    Let's face it, the time-proven and most effective way of learning a skilled trade via an apprenticeship is all but history. Your best bet would be to find an old-timer (who is getting ready to retire...or has retired) to show you the ropes. I use the word "old-timer" as a respectful term of endearment since I, myself, am heading into those years.

The fast pace of today's world has changed that learning model drastically, and what is learned on the job is usually limited to a particular segment. So, in order to get a well rounded education, you'll either need to move through the various departments of a larger company or work for a small company where you wear many hats.

If that is not possible, then BE A GOOD OBSERVER. As Yogi Berra put it "You can observe a lot...just by watching".

All you have to do is look around this forum and observe what is going on. Whether you realize it or not, this place is a gold mine of information that is unavailable anywhere else.

SignCraft magazine is also top notch. If you can't afford that, then browse your supermarket and take a good look at the products on the shelves. Nowhere else on earth can you find such a wide variety of themes, elements and ideas for layout and design.

JB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SignManiac View Post
    I told her what Jimmy Hotshot as said and that I was going to give up and enlist in the military.
    Ugh, honestly, I wish I kept with it. I did what you were thinking, enlisted, and now I'm doing signs and military. I really should of stuck with the sign shop. starting over from square one after 7yrs in. The design wasn't the hard part for me, mainly it's always been the age factor. People see a guy that's 20 and don't take me serious. The other guy down the road was 40, did eye sore work. I've seen lime green outlines around yellow/orange faded lettering... Impact font.... The horror....

To piggie back, When I started, I was use to messing around with adobe photoshop a long time ago, so the crazy lettering was my thing when I started at 17. When I hit the books and started reading sign builder, sign craft, ordered some design books and just took a look at all the different designs others had made, the simplistic but clean cut and nice "flow" they had was what inspired me to stop with the crazy crap and go for the classier looks.

few key things I kept in the back of my mind....

Font spacing
    only ONE style of script on a sign if using script
    readable
    There is more then Red Blue & Green on the rack
    Less is more
    Theme
    Uniformity (for businesses)

Not everyone's style is the same. I've seen amazing cartoonish designs, and very sharp looking straight lettering with a small zing to it. Has to fit the customer's needs as well.

College Junior
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what Fred said above:
    "...While I was developing though, I would read all the trade magazines from cover to cover and I would bore my friends by constantly studying existing signs ... What do I like about this one? What do I not like about that one? How was that one made and how was it installed?..."
    That is another very effective way to learn; by observation.

Taking criticism in the business world should not be an emotional experience either.

Making fine art for your own enjoyment is a different story, but I don't think people post here about fine art, we post in hopes of finding the best way to make profit. Having said that, I have seen lots of pictures here that look like fine art!

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Sign Up Graphics

Great post!

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the very good info, but,, no real "formal" place to learn?
    And before anyone comments,,,, no, I not talking about wearing a Tux....LOL
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Try attending as many Letterhead meets as possible. That will open your eyes up to a whole new world. Just do a google search for upcoming meets.

Premium Subscriber jsmoritz2000's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be where I am after 2 years without the help I receive here on this forum and I will never make excuses for the criticism I receive on the forum, whether I agree or not. Opinions are opinions. If people can't handle opinions, they simply should refrain from asking for them and leave them for those who do respectfully take any criticism handed to them. Thank you Signs 101 for all your help and for helping to make me a better sign maker.

Fantastic thread, by the way! I'm so busy lately I hardly have time to come here and comment on threads, but this one is worth commenting on.

I second making this a sticky thread.

Preppie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Read every single word and agree. Im in it to win it and am willing to learn. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Inspiring Post=)

Like the post, esp. this line "Good design isn't just a tool, its the key to your financial success as well"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast