College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl on cars

Thank for the quick response. Why is cast the better vinyl then calendered?

Post Thanks / Like

CAST or CALENDARED

Quote Originally Posted by WestbankKurt View Post
    Thank for the quick response. Why is cast the better vinyl then calendered?
    I got this one, y'all. Even though I do not speak CAJUN, I think Kurt will understand. CAST is manufactured by pouring the liquid vinyl to its finished size and allowing it to cure accordingly. CALENDARED is manufactured by pouring the liquid to a specific size, curing, and then "stretching" the product to its finished size. The stretching gives the vinyl a memory; therefore, over time, the applied vinyl will "shrink" back to its pre-stretched size.

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a quick explanation for ya:
    http://www.signindustry.com/vinyl/ar...alendered.php3

I didn't read the whole thing but it looks like it covers most the bases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CiberSupply-TT View Post
    CAST is manufactured by pouring the liquid vinyl to its finished size and allowing it to cure accordingly. CALENDARED is manufactured by pouring the liquid to a specific size, curing, and then "stretching" the product to its finished size. The stretching gives the vinyl a memory; therefore, over time, the applied vinyl will "shrink" back to its pre-stretched size.
    similar, but what i always understood, and told by a gregory rep probably 15 years ago, that cast starts as a liquid and is poured onto massive sheets and baked to cure, while calendared starts as almost like a "playdough" or putty and rolled through different pinch rollers to squeeze it down to the thin shape

cast is stretchy and does not have a memory because it started as a liquid and has no reference point while calendared will always try to ball back up to its original "playdough" state, causing the curling and the shrinking.....

Post Thanks / Like
    It was explained to me by a VP at the old Fasson (now Avery) ...

Calendared vinyl starts out as a dough and is either extruded through a thin slot with pressure or rolled into a sheet using steel rollers. Either way the molecular memory of the film is that of a lump and it will want to shrink back into a lump when exposed to heat or as it ages. All that stops it from doing so is the adhesive.

Cast vinyl is liquified and then sprayed like paint against a "casting sheet" where it dries or cures and is left with the molecular memory of the sheet it dried as. Therefore, it has no tendency to shrink as it ages.

Cast vinyl is inherently more expensive to produce but it is also inherently superior for long term outdoor vinyl lettering and graphics.
    Fred Weiss
    Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.
    Lake Worth, Florida

Expert Gerber Edge printing for the trade.
    Prices Slashed 50% to 80%! Clip art and seamless texture tiles, collections and individual images, lowest prices ever at www.allcompu.com. Come have a look.
    Our Latest Collection! Plotter Art™ Seamless Texture Tiles Volume Three is now available.

fred@allcompu.com
    www.allcompu.com

Always Remember ... STICKY SIDE DOWN.

College Freshman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than the manufacturing process, I've been told (by a vinyl supplier) that cast will have a more matte finish, and calendared will be more glossy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Neil View Post
    Other than the manufacturing process, I've been told (by a vinyl supplier) that cast will have a more matte finish, and calendared will be more glossy.
    That's a big negative! Both are available in many finishes including matte or gloss. The cast and calendared difference is all in the manufacturing process as explained by others above. Finishes, Base Color, etc is all shared by both types of vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Neil View Post

Absolutely not so. A good rule of thumb and a best practices rule is to always consider anything said by a supplier sales rep as untrue and made up until proven otherwise.

Fred Weiss
    Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.
    Lake Worth, Florida

Expert Gerber Edge printing for the trade.
    Prices Slashed 50% to 80%! Clip art and seamless texture tiles, collections and individual images, lowest prices ever at www.allcompu.com. Come have a look.
    Our Latest Collection! Plotter Art™ Seamless Texture Tiles Volume Three is now available.

fred@allcompu.com
    www.allcompu.com

Always Remember ... STICKY SIDE DOWN.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's easier to spell.

Bachelor of Arts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it conforms better and holds up longer, also better quality. Why go into technical details?

PhD
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the reasons already discussed, calendared shrinks. When it shrinks (and it can shrink substantially) the adhesive either gives up, or holds and causes cracking and then peeling. Although there are some better quality calendared vinyls, most are made with cheaper materials which further degrades their quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    When they say stretched, by how much do they mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    While calendered does play second fiddle to cast, fret not, there are some excellent calendered films, on the market nowadays.
    I've seen large graphics --calendered- that I've made, 4 years later, looking very good. Note-- in the hot desert sun. 114 degree heat

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I was always taught that cast is a more premium product and should be used on long-term jobs and vehicles.
    Calendered can discolor and shrink, and is for cheaper jobs like corosigns.
    Love....Jill

Premium Subscriber jsmoritz2000's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a very important point that has yet to be mentioned is that cast is also available in a much broader selection of colors and textures than calendered.

Post Thanks / Like
    brand also matters. some cast premium by some companies is garbage. cheap brands put out cheap cast so use a good brand if you want it to last