• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

12-Pass = More Ink?

daenterpri

I just downloaded the ICC Profile for Orajet 3651M and it uses 12 pass. I've never had a media use 12 pass before. Does that mean that it uses more ink? Or does it mean that it just takes more time? Or both?

Asuma01

Generally speaking yes a 12 pass will put down more ink.
This is not 100% though. It depends on how the person set up the profile.

daenterpri

Gotcha. Ya, comparing to other print jobs in the server accounting section, I would say it's using maybe double the ink. That and it's pretty slow printing. Being that we print large quantities of decals, it's not ideal. I like the material though. Maybe I'll try some of our other standard profiles and see how they work on it.

Thanks!

I just downloaded the ICC Profile for Orajet 3651M and it uses 12 pass. I've never had a media use 12 pass before. Does that mean that it uses more ink? Or does it mean that it just takes more time? Or both?

As you can see from the attached image, there is almost no difference in ink consumption (1 cent worth) between 10pass and 12pass print modes on the HP Latex 260. It will print at a lower throughput at 12pass as you said. This example is holding constant all other variables (ink limits etc.)

Attachments

• 10P-12P.jpg
    10P-12P.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 150

guitarguy69

individual channel ink limits along with overall ink limit will dictate the ammount of ink put down. These factored together will tell you how much ink is being put down per overall size or square footage. Most software will include some sort of cost estimater that will get you real close to how much actual ink is being used per square foot, or by the overall size of your print. Then simply compare to your other profile for a cost comparison.
Using the same material, doubling the ammount of ink used will hugely effect your colors.

dypinc

Using more passes can allow you to put down more ink but most of the time it is because a particular media needs more drying time or under less heat for a longer time.

Now for a particular job that might have a lot of light tones that you want to use more light inks to avoid the peppering look you might have to use more passes to get proper drying, but that again depends on how well your media takes ink and what you can or have to set your ink limits at.

When you setting up new linearizations, ink limits and then profiling, see what you get away with as far a ink lay-down for your heat settings, passes and media. Remember with lower ink limits you get less color gamut so somewhere you will be having to chose a happy medium. After linearizations and ink limits but before profiling you should get a quality control target (different RIP may have a different name for it) that will be a pretty good indicator of whether your putting to much ink down (coalescing) or if you have limited your inks too much. If need be you should be able to backup and make adjustments to the ink limits and print a new quality control target. Once you get that right you then go to the profiling stage.

Also Latex printers are sensitive to the environment that they are located in some using someone elses profile is not going to necessarily going to be very accurate in you environment. I have also seen some canned profiles for the media company or distributors that were pretty bad. Looked like who ever did them had no idea what they were doing with Latex.

hansman

The canned Orajet profiles are a great starting point.
They tend to only post on the website what seems to be fully tested profiles for your rip - printer - media.
Most of the guesswork has been dealt with as far as resolution, screen type, color passes, density, temp, etc., etc.
This is assuming your printer is linearized.

guitarguy69

It means you have taken your particular ink set and media and calibrated your machine, with your particular software, to lay down ink in a linear gradation from 0% to 100%. Rather than a non linear fashion such as a curve.

daenterpri

It means you have taken your particular ink set and media and calibrated your machine, with your particular software, to lay down ink in a linear gradation from 0% to 100%. Rather than a non linear fashion such as a curve.

Ah, thanks. Ya, I don't think that I've done that. I didn't realize that was a thing. Is that done from the printer or software generally? I'm using Caldera.

hansman

Generally speaking it should be done from the Rip software. I have used Onyx for this so I cant help you.
Maybe do a search on your Caldera help menu as it consists of an exact set of instructions per your rips software version. In addition you will need a sprectophotometer to read the results.

Generally speaking it should be done from the Rip software. I have used Onyx for this so I cant help you.
Maybe do a search on your Caldera help menu as it consists of an exact set of instructions per your rips software version. In addition you will need a sprectophotometer to read the results.

The HP latex ink printers have an on-board densitometer/ spectrophotometer (XRite i1) that can be used to re-linearize. It uses more ink and media (must be at least 36 inch wide) and may takes a bit longer than using an external measurement instrument.