• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1204 Waste Pads

dj_elite

I am in need of new waste pads. I have heard of using maxi pads. Does this really work? And if so what kind do I get? If this is a bad idea can someone tell me a source for new pads

AUTO-FX

I wonder if there would be any problem. If it is absorbent, and it fits the space, why not?

dj_elite

Thats what I was thinking. I recall someone on here saying they didnt even use pads at all. They just left the splash shield in place and let the drawer fill up. Im sure that could be a potential disaster though! I would like at least something to absorb the ink. The Mutoh pads are like $25 a set. That adds up...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Interesting...I've had a 1204 for three years now and the original pads in the tray are still mostly white. I can only wonder if it has anything to do with the fact the I always turn it off when I'm not actually using it. Moreover, I never seem to have any of the myriad problems that others seem to endlessly and continually report in these waters.

As a datapoint, the one time I mistakenly left it on overnight with media loaded, I had to wash the heads with many cloths soaked in cleaning solution to get it printing properly once more. So much for leaving it on.

Erikka@Rainier

Maxi pads would likely break down faster than the waste pads. If I recall correctly, the waste pads are more foam-like whereas the maxi pads are made of a more cottony fibrous material. It's also possible as the maxi pads absorb the ink, they will increase in size which has the potential for getting snagged on moving parts.

henryp

I am in need of new waste pads. I have heard of using maxi pads. Does this really work? And if so what kind do I get? If this is a bad idea can someone tell me a source for new pads

I have customers using rolled tissue paper or paper kitchen towels, this is just to prevent the ink from sloshing about in the waste ink tray. You will need to empty the tray more often in this case.