• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 3M Cast vinyl shortage?!?!

De.signs Nanaimo

I have used the Avery for years, I still see a wrap on a trailer around town I did in 2009, coming of in a few spots and rivets for sure but still making money for the client.

Only issue I have had is with the older white backed colours, the glue came of during removal and was a pain the get off the car as the rapid remove would not soften it. I ended up using dry lit free cloths and elbow grease.

tyzero

Pooling is a term used by the manufacturer when ink does not lay evenly. You will see white spots. (Like Jester said). Think of oil coated onto the top face and ink not sticking to those areas. This was a problem on short rolls of 180cv3 and then 3m asked me if I had seen it on large rolls as they had returns on those also. Poof, I did then. Had this issue with 4 different rolls, different production dates, and different lot numbers.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I have used the Avery for years, I still see a wrap on a trailer around town I did in 2009, coming of in a few spots and rivets for sure but still making money for the client.

I have a smart car we did back before Avery came out with the "Z" line of laminates that still looks great. In fact everything we did before the change lasted and looked great for around 5 years or more. After the "Z" line changeover everything started burning up around 3 1/2 to 4 years.

De.signs Nanaimo

I have a smart car we did back before Avery came out with the "Z" line of laminates that still looks great. In fact everything we did before the change lasted and looked great for around 5 years or more. After the "Z" line changeover everything started burning up around 3 1/2 to 4 years.

Could be UV as well, there is more UV-B getting to the ground than ever before, even UV-C which should not get to ground level at all.

I did a vehicle with Avery Supreme on a truck, then removed it a few years later. The vinyl from chest height down was fine, the top portion was baked and more difficult to remove. The stuff which overlapped onto the roof about 4 inches was fried. I mean it turned to dust when I tried to remove it like cheap imported crap does after a few years. I was truly amazed at the sun damage.

signage

Read the specification on all vinyl and the horizontal life is way shorter, almost all vinyl is designed to be on a vertical surface.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
On Avery we always use the 1060 which is the 2.1 mil version of their lam. Longer rating and the thickness can make it a bit easier to work with too.....

On 3M I got lucky and was able to get 2 rolls of 54" (one mc and one CV3) but in a few weeks I'm going to be needing quite a bit more.

Being told if we want to order a minimum of 10 rolls we can do that but cannot print on latex (that is fine since we are solvent) but no warranty and full price.... Full price for unwarranted questionable material with a 10 roll minimum. Yeah, no thanks. I'll just be honest with the clients and offer an alternate or to put the job off until things are back in production.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
What laminate were you using with Avery? Also, we have removed 3-year-old wraps with no issues at all on Avery. Every brand after about year 2 in AZ is tough to remove, after 3 years of exposure they all are starting to shatter by year 4 they all are a nightmare.

1060 which is 2mil

CSOCSO

On Avery we always use the 1060 which is the 2.1 mil version of their lam. Longer rating and the thickness can make it a bit easier to work with too.....

On 3M I got lucky and was able to get 2 rolls of 54" (one mc and one CV3) but in a few weeks I'm going to be needing quite a bit more.

Being told if we want to order a minimum of 10 rolls we can do that but cannot print on latex (that is fine since we are solvent) but no warranty and full price.... Full price for unwarranted questionable material with a 10 roll minimum. Yeah, no thanks. I'll just be honest with the clients and offer an alternate or to put the job off until things are back in production.

What are you gonna do with the metallic?

CSOCSO

First issue with Avery as of today is that when i try to print spot colors using avery profile ( roland versaworks) it completely messes up the colors. The ink outputs are totally different what it should be and prints totally different shades for all the colors. Since ink limit is different i had a green that was like 60-2-60-75 with 3m profile but changed to 55-0-48-75 with avery profile and of course its a different green. So now i am printing with 3m profile.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
First issue with Avery as of today is that when i try to print spot colors using avery profile ( roland versaworks) it completely messes up the colors. The ink outputs are totally different what it should be and prints totally different shades for all the colors. Since ink limit is different i had a green that was like 60-2-60-75 with 3m profile but changed to 55-0-48-75 with avery profile and of course its a different green. So now i am printing with 3m profile.

Not trying to ruffle your feathers but thats why you should build your own profiles for your media. I1 Pro3 Publish, best $2800 you can spend. Your colors will be more consistent between medias and use the right amount of ink for the media. We used oracal 3651 profile for years on everything. Worked great till we added another printer and needed colors to match.