• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Digital Vinyl Cores and Labels

Has anyone had issues with 3M Digital Vinyl cores? Over the past year more often than not, I have had the cores bend and crush making it less stable to stand on it's end (even with the plastic end cap). The bent cores folds inward and catches when loading it onto the printer spool end. In addition the inner labels consistently come off, did something change?, I've never had these issues before in all my years of printing with 3M products.

Hello, if a 3M rep. is out there reading this, could you pass this comment along?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yeah they're definitely using thinner cores, but as long as you don't beat them up I prefer them compared to some of the thicker/heavier cores.

2B

This I've seen for quite a while. I've always noted how Arlon must care a great deal more about their products, their cores are around 3/8" wall vs 1/8. Like when we do our monthly cardboard tube jousting matches, I'm the guy hiding all but one arlon tube for myself.

Where are the videos?
are y'all using office chairs or a 2 man team with shopping carts?

ikarasu

Technically 3M plasters everywhere that you're not supposed to stand the material on its end...so I dont think a 3M rep will say / do much if you tell them its warping when you do that!

We stand a ton up too though - the cores are thinner... but I havent noticed it be a problem. The material is usually to the edge of the core - So in order for the core to bend wouldnt the material need to take a big hit or get pushed in from the outside as well?

All our stuff is stored horizontal though, just the few odds and ends are stored vertical, and all overlam is stored vertical, we havent had a problem though.

I too, prefer the thinner cores... Theyre light and great for shipping products out. Their thicker cores were like 2-3 LBS each... At least in canada that adds $5 to shipping just in weight :(

ikarasu

If you can weld.... These are great. They take up about 5 ft by 5 ft in floor space, they're on wheels so they roll... And hold 30 + full rolls of vinyl. Just don't try to roll it on carpet with 30 rolls on-top... Unless you have 2 people!

Ignore all the loose hanging rolls too.... I have 100 Soopers clips but our new operator just throws them all back without using them :mad:

Attachments

• 20230106_154839.jpg
    20230106_154839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
This I've seen for quite a while. I've always noted how Arlon must care a great deal more about their products, their cores are around 3/8" wall vs 1/8. Like when we do our monthly cardboard tube jousting matches, I'm the guy hiding all but one arlon tube for myself.
The heavy cores ID is a hair more than the others, 3m is usually a hair less than the others, works great in my laminator. When you have a Chinese laminator, the bigger cores have just enough play in them to cause havoc. Oracal is between the 2. Substance is ok but they use a nasty glue to hold the vinyl on which drags across the platen when you reuse the tubes. These cheap chinese machines have made me a bid of a core snob.
As far as how you store the roll, it's the delivery guys who drop them on the end and break the plastic holders.

CanuckSigns

The 3M cores are too thin, they cause issues with our royal sovereign laminator, if we use them on the take up roll, the backer paper compresses them enough to prevent them from coming off the spindle. I have to make sure I use the thick arlon cores for that.