• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x6 hanging sign substrate

routierracing

I have a customer wanting a gloss white sign with applied vinyl. It is to be a 4x6 sign hanging from above so that it swings in the wind. What substrate would be rigid enough at that size without building a frame? Polymetal? Or is building a frame going to be a must?

Also whatever the substrate I need to be able to pick it up in Indy if anyone has a supplier in the area.

Letterbox Mike

If you just want something simple and don't need it to be too thick I'd use 6mm Polymetal/Dibond/Maxmetal. It's nothing fancy though.

Mosh

+on 6mm MaxMetal. I would do a frame around it and chain it so it can't swing too much.
That thing would beat itself to death if left to swing like that. All hanging signs I have ever made that are over 6 sq feet do not swing.

routierracing

Good point on the swinging. Im replacing an old one but it was a plywood mounted on both sides to a steel rectagle tubing frame so I guess that is why it didn't swing so much. I'll have to go back to the drawing board just for that fact.