• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6mm?

wes70

I need a little info regarding how rigid a 4x8 6mm alupanel or polymetal would be if used for a two sided sign? The sign will be framed around the perimeter. I have always used 1/2" and 3/4" mdo, lusterboard and yes, pvc. I am leaning towards either mdo again or possible try 6mm alupanel. I have had problems in the past with lusterboard delaminating and with the expansion of pvc, I think I'll pass on that also. I use a lot of 3mm alupanel and polymetal, but have yet to use the 6mm stuff.

So basically it narrows it down to mdo or alupanel / polymetal. Any suggestions?

i am a big fan of dibond/nupoly, etc and have signs that are still out there since there since about 1996 so i have no worries about the integrity of the material.

what i do see often is inferior installation and mounting.

for a double sided sign my personal preference is to use 2 sheets and mount them to an interior frame. it just provides a much more substantial sign. instead of a flimsy panel mounted between 2 posts, it isnt much of a concern if we are talking about a parking lot entry sign that is 18" X 24" .. but if it is 4X8' it makes a much stronger, better looking sign imo.

wes70

I hear ya Dan. I suggested to my customer to go with an internal frame and 3mm polymetal on each side, but the customer is installing (and knows all!). I am sure 6mm will hold up quite well... but I want something that will handle things being thrown at. So, 3/4" mdo it is! I hope he has a few extra hands for the install.

Salmoneye

I use 3mm double sided with lots of fasteners in a frame and you won't find more wind than here. Today I am doing a 5' x 10' and I will use two panels with an internal frame but I don't know if I really had to.