• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

700W and print modes

Alpha Star

I’m new to this idea that so many settings are controlled by the media profile, and I find it quite limiting.

With my other printers, if I want high res, it’s just an option I can click in the RIP. Same with white ink and unidirectional mode. They’re both individual options.

Unless I’m not understanding, this is completely different with HP Latex? If I want unidirectional, it’s a profile I have to choose, and that profile can’t be used to print white. White ink would require its own profile, which forces bi-direction. And 1200 dpi is available, but I can’t even find that profile.

Why not just let me choose what I want when I print?

HP Latex printers introduced since 2013 are Contone (continuous tone) devices. Most large-format printers are Halftone devices.

With Latex devices, the media package on the printer contains a number of Print Modes (at least one, but often times more). These print modes define many attributes of print, including the inks used, ink density, pass count, temperature settings, ICC Profile etc. While some of these are modifiable, others are not. Most print modes are bidirectional, but there are small number of unidirectional print modes on certain Latex models.

The term Profile should reference the ICC Profile. The term Print Mode is a more encompassing term that includes both mechanical parameters and color-related data.

dypinc

The term Profile should reference the ICC Profile. The term Print Mode is a more encompassing term that includes both mechanical parameters and color-related data.
Amen to that. The term profile is really confusing when referring to a Print Mode in a Media Preset.

And using the term Media Profile should only refer to the ICC profile for a specific media and print mode combination. To use it to mean anything else is really confusing things.

Alpha Star

I understand the terminology now. How can I get a print mode with unidirectional, white ink and 1200dpi? As these are all available features of my printer, I find it silly that I can only have access to one at a time.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I understand the terminology now. How can I get a print mode with unidirectional, white ink and 1200dpi? As these are all available features of my printer, I find it silly that I can only have access to one at a time.
It's quite simple, you can not. HP offers pre defined settings and values of which many you can adjust but uni-dir and 1200x1200dpi is only for few select printmodes.

So best you can do is 600x1200dpi and to achieve the sharpest white (ex. text) you should run the automatic alignment after you insert the printheads and only then print jobs. Repeat if you take em out. Reduce the choke as much as possible if needed.
There is also difference in how the white is output if you select SAV vs Transparent SAV media. Even tho both can have the same ex. "White Spot 100%", visual output is not necessarily the same.

I think (could be wrong) that these are all the uni-dir printmodes available and 1200x1200dpi you can only select with 18-passes (doesn't have to be uni-dir, I'm not even sure if you can select 18pUNI and 1200dpi).

1688399261462.png

dypinc

If the 700W is the same as the 360 you can select the Ui-dir Media Preset as a new media and then setup what ever print modes you want in that preset. As I am thinking about going to the 700W I am wondering if choosing a Ui-dir Media Preset I can then select all that same print modes available in the Bi-dir preset like I can with the 360. On the 360 there is no Uni-dir Transparent SAV (backlit) preset so wondering if the 700W has that ability?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If the 700W is the same as the 360 you can select the Ui-dir Media Preset as a new media and then setup what ever print modes you want in that preset. As I am thinking about going to the 700W I am wondering if choosing a Ui-dir Media Preset I can then select all that same print modes available in the Bi-dir preset like I can with the 360. On the 360 there is no Uni-dir Transparent SAV (backlit) preset so wondering if the 700W has that ability?
I'm thinking it's not possible like that. On L700W you have mixed printmodes, bi-dir and uni-dir in same media preset. However I haven't checked out this new stretchable textile yet.

Alpha Star

Thank you, balstestrat! You’ve given me so many answers I couldn’t find elsewhere :). Yes, I read that white spot uses both white heads, so it relies on alignment of both heads, but UF only uses one white head, so logically it should be a bit more crisp. I hope they add a 6c+white preset with UNI some day.

Alpha Star

I opened that 18p stretchable preset in SAi PM, and it only goes up to 600dpi... Do you think this is just a RIP software problem?

I opened that 18p stretchable preset in SAi PM, and it only goes up to 600dpi... Do you think this is just a RIP software problem?
The 'dpi' referenced in the RIP is not the resolution that the printer is printing at. It is the resolution of the raster data set that the RIP generates and sends to the printer. The printer converts the pixel information into 'dots' at a higher print resolution. For most print modes this is 1200x600 dpi.

Alpha Star

The 'dpi' referenced in the RIP is not the resolution that the printer is printing at. It is the resolution of the raster data set that the RIP generates and sends to the printer. The printer converts the pixel information into 'dots' at a higher print resolution. For most print modes this is 1200x600 dpi.
Thank you! Is this one 1200 x 1200? Referring to the 18p6c200 found within the stretchable textile media.