• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

700W take-up unloading?

Alpha Star

So... during set-up, we were shown to simply tape the new roll to a bit of material on the take-up from a nearly empty roll. It's been like that for days, and includes a lot of test prints from the tech.

Today I tried clicking "Unload take up roll", and it just started rolling the media back forever. It pulled until the taped joint was about to crash under the rollers. There is no emergency stop, the cover opening didn't work, the power button displayed a "powering off" message, but it continued to pull. I was able to rip it apart before it got sucked under the rollers, so no damage, but now I don't know what I did wrong. I have never seen a piece of equipment with no ability to stop before.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
There is no button for "Unload take up roll". When you press "Unload", it is only meant to unload the new roll backwards.
Normally the printer should have told you that "the roll is still attached to the take-up, please remove it etc etc". But I suspect you had the take-up turned off for whatever reason and then the printer doesn't know it's still attached and will pull back as long as it needs to "unload".

So next time first cut it, if your take-up is activated it will collect the cut. Only after that hit the "unload".

ikarasu

What you want to do is click move and cut... Then cut the roll and it'll cut it, and wind it up on the take up reel - Then you just pull the takeup reel off.

IF you ever need to "Emergency stop" It... hold the power button down, don't just press it - it'll perform a hard shut off, takes 5-10 seconds and the machine will power down.

BigNate

and make sure your tech installed the latest and greatest firmware - there were some issues with the take up reel that were fixed through software updates. (but I agree with balstestrat, the only unload option is for the mail media, and if you hit it with the take up roll attached but not activated, the 700 will do exactly what you describe.)