• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Airplane graphics

brdesign

If it's an aircraft with a non-pressurized cabin you can just use a cast vinyl. If it has a pressurized cabin that's when you have to deal with FAA regulations. From my limited research, pressured cabins require a special material made by 3m. 3m will not sell you the material if you are not FAA certified to install it. Also, you need an insurance policy large enough to cover the cost of the plane if you damage it. You also have to calculate how much weight the material will add to the plane, even painting a commercial airliner you have to consider the weight of the paint layers.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If it's an aircraft with a non-pressurized cabin you can just use a cast vinyl. If it has a pressurized cabin that's when you have to deal with FAA regulations. From my limited research, pressured cabins require a special material made by 3m. 3m will not sell you the material if you are not FAA certified to install it. Also, you need an insurance policy large enough to cover the cost of the plane if you damage it. You also have to calculate how much weight the material will add to the plane, even painting a commercial airliner you have to consider the weight of the paint layers.
There are some other threads about this, and I remember this being said before. Also, planes have a very thin membrane, so you need to be careful around it with blades

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
That sounds like a fun project! When it comes to applying graphics on planes, durability is definitely key. You'll want to use high-quality materials that can withstand the various elements encountered during flight, such as wind, rain, and temperature fluctuations. Look for vinyl specifically designed for aircraft use, as it tends to be more resistant to fading and peeling.
Now that you've done your obligatory AI necropost, I can't WAIT to see what sort of spam or backlink you try for your next post! :popcorn:

Sign Pro Salina

I know this is an old post, but thought I would share our experience producing & installing graphics on a very special plane, The Global Flyer that flew around the world...non-stop in 2005. We produced & installed the graphics on the lower blue portion of the fuselage back in 2005. As I recall it, the company who contracted us, Scaled Composites had to verify the vinyls we would be using, how many mils thick due to drag, fuel usage etc for that type of flight. It was great to be a part of such an endeavor on a plane that holds 3 out of 7 world records & now hangs on display in the Smithsonian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Atlantic_GlobalFlyer
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_2028.jpg

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I know this is an old post, but thought I would share our experience producing & installing graphics on a very special plane, The Global Flyer that flew around the world...non-stop in 2005. We produced & installed the graphics on the lower blue portion of the fuselage back in 2005. As I recall it, the company who contracted us, Scaled Composites had to verify the vinyls we would be using, how many mils thick due to drag, fuel usage etc for that type of flight. It was great to be a part of such an endeavor on a plane that holds 3 out of 7 world records & now hangs on display in the Smithsonian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Atlantic_GlobalFlyer View attachment 169782 View attachment 169783
NGL that's a pretty awesome claim to fame

citysignshop

Just FYI ....the examples that were NOT airliners, were experimental category...thus, very few regs apply on what you can stick to them!
If they do have to be paint, you could still offer design and stencil cutting services to the paint shop....but as some others have noted, it's a specialized kind of work, best to decide if you want to go 'all in' and become the shop that does this kind of work, and charge accordingly!

Here's an example; sadly typical. A friend wanted to put some graphics on the tail of his plane.

He painted the main colors, and the Reg. marks and graphic were to be vinyl. I can't cut vinyl, so provided the files which he took to a local sign shop.
They cut it all goofy, so of course, I spent a whole day 'helping' him apply the graphics. ( beer provided!)
Oh, did I mention that it took SEVENTEEN versions, and many full size paper patterns to make the graphic fit the swooping vertical fin etc.
At version 15, his wife appears at the hangar....., and wants to change the colour, design, position etc.

so, just be forewarned....that is totally a typical scenario!
1709076733677.png

SO glad I did it all for free!