• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Allen Datagraph 836 glitches

Kilroy2k1

Hello, I recently purchased a Allen Datagraph 836 in order to branch out my business with additional services, just small stuff for now, but I'm having a few minor issues getting things working properly.
The machine is pretty old and from what i can see a bit abused, but still cuts quite well. The gent I purchased it from could not get it working right and storaged it for years and in the process lost the data cable. I found the pinout for the cable from the manual and made up a db9-db25 cable which seems to work except any time i send a cut job the error light comes on buy yet the job still cuts just fine. I did go through the setup and port settings for the system and software to make sure there was no issue there.
It came with flexisign software but for a mac, as I dont have a mac I'm using a borrowed pc with flexisign on it till i get it to run well enough to talk to flexisign about a pc version.
The only real problem thats stopping my work is calibrating the machine. I have gone through the method in the user manual and tried to use the method in the ADSI TSB but my machine dosent react the same as the sheets imply it should and the end result is always a E37 error. The manual specifies 'Function 3 , 0, 7, Enter' to enter the calibration entry mode and the machine should display 0's ready for input, but at that stage this one displays the current default of C42. If i hit enter again the machine goes through its media load routine and then flashes AAA, at which point i input the first number (75000) and hit enter, it then displays BBB and so on till I hit enter after inputting the final number on DDD, the display shows a single flashing D and I hit 99 to exit diagnostics. After all that, it goes to E37.. I'm a lil stumped.

For most of what I plan on using the machine for I dont need 100% accuracy, but for one specific task i do need it a little closer then the nearly 1/8" out that it is currently.
Is it possible I have a bad board or eprom, or did the older machines require something different to set the calibrations?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Tom.