• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to 3m VHB for mounting 1/4" PVC interior wall lettering?

gnubler

FYI, I sent a request to Elite Letters asking which tape they use for mounting PVC and they said 3M 4941 gray VHB.

Aaron Hunter

Steel studs, blow torch and a squirt bottle with water makes quick work to "tap" PVC. If you really want to get precise, reverse rout your letters with 3/16"x.125" depth pilot holes. Heat up stud to glowing, push into pilot hole (speed square to help get them straight), hit with cold water then unscrew the stud.

JBurton

Signtologist
Steel studs, blow torch and a squirt bottle with water makes quick work to "tap" PVC. If you really want to get precise, reverse rout your letters with 3/16"x.125" depth pilot holes. Heat up stud to glowing, push into pilot hole (speed square to help get them straight), hit with cold water then unscrew the stud.
Only thing to point out, isn't that smoke pretty noxious/toxic?

Aaron Hunter

Only thing to point out, isn't that smoke pretty noxious/toxic?
Yeah it can be but try to only have the newbies do it in non ventilated areas...kind of a right of passage if you will.. o_O
On the serious side, you want to do this in a well ventilated area or a properly fit respirator/filter combo. I've gone so far as to do this in a paint booth. Same with projects like eradication of color on awnings or other high fume activities.