• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Alternatives to 3M IJ175 and 8518?

tamz24

We've been using 3M IJ175 and IJ180C vinyl and 3M Scotchcal 8518 overlaminate for vehicle decals and wraps.

I'm trying to look into alternatives (cheaper).

Is the OraGuard 290 kind of their entry level cast vinyl for vehicles? Is there another product I should be looking at?

Looking at Grimco's Briteline WrapCast for overlaminate - any experiences or other rec's?

signheremd

Oraguard 290 is a 10 year wrap cast UV laminate - not entry level at all, in fact try to find better. They now list it as 9 year (I think) as they have their non PVC line they are promoting and listing as 10year. We use it on anything that needs UV protection. It is on a paper/clay liner.

Briteline Wrap Cast Overlaminate is excellent for the price. We use the optically clear, which I think is rated at 7 years. We use this one decals and indoor stuff and anything that needs full optically clear laminate. Price point is close enough to intermediate laminates, which we seldom use anymore, that we use this instead of intermediate lamination. This optically clear laminate is supposedly made by 3M. It is on a clear plastic liner.

Oraguard 290 is top of the line laminate. We have used 3M in the past and it is as good or better in my experience. Briteline is a bargain for the price. It's quality is very good and I only question its ability to outlast the Oraguard.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Check out 3M 8418 for the laminate, it's pretty nice stuff. I have no idea about longevity but we just burned through a few rolls of it and it's nice.

Couple hundred cheaper than what we were paying for 8518 too.

tamz24

Fantastic, thanks!

How about vinyl? We currently run the 3M IJ175 on our HP 360 Latex.

I see Orajet 3551 is calendered but they list it as a vehicle decal/wrap vinyl. Is this any good, or any rec's for printable vinyls?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Fantastic, thanks!

How about vinyl? We currently run the 3M IJ175 on our HP 360 Latex.

I see Orajet 3551 is calendered but they list it as a vehicle decal/wrap vinyl. Is this any good, or any rec's for printable vinyls?

I personally wouldn't touch 3551 or any calendared oracal film, especially not for permanent/vehicle use. We used to use it a bit but it just shrinks too damn much.

We strictly use IJ180cv3 for vehicle decals but are testing IJ175 to see how it performs.