• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

aluminum signs with numbers vs. painted numbers

Judy

:banghead:I've been asked to bid on re-numbering a couple of self storage facilities. the numbers will be going on concrete/cement. there are abuot 500 units - the numbers are currently painted (half are hand painted without stencil) they are open to suggestions, such as number plates. Any suggestions on where or how to start the bidding process?

CheapVehicleWrap

What's the matter with the numbers now? You're obviously going to have to cover them up right? Are they in the same order? Were they open to suggestions last time they were numbered but the owner decided it would be 'cheaper' to hand number them hself?

Jillbeans

Make sure you know the measurement of the biggest painted number, even if it means going around to all 500 units.
Then price aluminum big enough to cover the numbers.
My supplier will cut a 4'x8' into whatever size I need, even an odd size, for a nominal fee.
You could probably get away with .040
That way you can get more blanks for less money than if you were going with a standard 12"x18" blank.
You might even want to bump up to polymetal for a small bit of dimension.
I'd letter with cast vinyl, probably black, for longer lasting signs.
Figure your materials and go from there, including installation if you are the one doing the installing. (can't help you with that part) Remember to bid enough so you make a profit, instead of just covering your materials.
They are probably collecting several bids, and if you detail why your bid will be better, so they can compare apples to apples, maybe you'll land the job.
Love....Jill

mikefine

These types of facilities tend to be very price sensitive.
The fact the previous ones are hand painted without a stencil gives
me more information. You must MUST get an idea
of what they have in mind to spend. $500.00? $1,000?
$2,500.00. Without that information, odds are you are wasting your time
doing this exploratory work.