• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alupanel Client Install w no visible fasteners

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
Hey all, I dug around a bit but I'm not sure how to approach this. I've got a 3'x4' 6mm alupanel sign going on a couple of fiberon 4x4 sleeves.
ScreenShot.png

I've done lots of signs more or less like this, but they've always been roadside so a few discrete fasteners were no big deal.
This sign though is going right next to the sidewalk at the entrance to the building so I want to do it without fasteners.
Compounding the issue is that it's for the county and they insist on installing themselves. How should I do this?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You might could add an aluminum pan on the back of the alupanel, stuck with long strips of VHB and adhesive. Then have aluminum angle between the posts so you can secure the pan/sign face to the top and bottom, and the sides of the pan would secure to the posts themselves.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Is it going to be single or double-sided?
You could use 3mm alupanel - mount some square tube to the back using countersunk screws through the 3mm. 2ea. horizontal to meet up with the side posts at the top and bottom of the sign. If it is double sided put some 'U' shaped brackets that you can drop the cross tubes into. Then panel bond the second 3mm skin with the graphics onto the 2 inner panels. Supply it to them all assembled so all they would have to do is mount the 4 U brackets onto the posts, drop the sign in from the top (like a double-sided french cleat) set a retaining screw in each top bracket - done.

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
Is it going to be single or double-sided?
You could use 3mm alupanel - mount some square tube to the back using countersunk screws through the 3mm. 2ea. horizontal to meet up with the side posts at the top and bottom of the sign. If it is double sided put some 'U' shaped brackets that you can drop the cross tubes into. Then panel bond the second 3mm skin with the graphics onto the 2 inner panels. Supply it to them all assembled so all they would have to do is mount the 4 U brackets onto the posts, drop the sign in from the top (like a double-sided french cleat) set a retaining screw in each top bracket - done.
That's a pretty elegant solution - makes me wish the sign WAS double sided! :D

Stacey K

I like making signs
Unless they specifically asked for no heads showing...I second painting the heads. I have coroplast with holes in it and put the screws into it and spray paint then clear coat, a few hours they are dry and ready to use.

Is "without fastener " only for the face or to be also considered the goal on the rear?
We use VHB Tape for a variety of projects, primarily the 5900 series. Some of the tests 3M has done with it is remarkable. I would probably go with something like texas_signmaker suggested I think.
Mount alum angle pieces vertically with 4950, 5952 or 5962 then secure those angle pieces to posts with screws. If this is all without fasteners then I would mount 4 angle rails (2 for both sides of each post) with 5952 to sign then probably go with the LSE 110 or 160 angle rails to posts.

Evan Gillette

I agree with angle and epoxy or vhb to the back of the face. One problem is that if they try to pull the angle to the post with the fasteners it can put a ton of force on the adhesive. Kind of a fun system I have used is the button-fix system sold by mbs standoffs.