• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ambulance Reflective Vinyl

Hey Guys so we have been contacted to quote an ambulance wrap for one of the mines here in town. They have requested the whole back and the partial sides wrapped with reflective vinyl. Now I have wrapped some repurposed ambulances before so I am not worried about the install factor but I haven't done any full wraps with reflective.
Does anyone have some recommendations for material? I am also wondering if it's best to go with a printable or straight-color reflective. any input would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a photo of what they are looking to have the end result like as we are still in the design process.
1666372370008.png

Gary1

Oralite 5650RA. Thin and lightweight. Pulls thru cutters easily when cutting even with laminate. And the greatest feature over ALL other printable reflectives is that it’s 54”!!!!! You can use your standard sized laminate and make things that much larger. I do between 20-30 ambulances a yr for the past 24 yrs and always use this product and never had any come backs or issues. And it’s priced right too. 3M 680cr is hard to pull with laminate with my Summa S2T160. Had to set up an indeed and out feed table. And it’s 48” and $$$$$.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
The back can be done in 3M 983 Diamond Grade vinyl. Note that it is expensive ($300 6"x150' US) and stiff. It can be applied once with no Controltac properties. For something easier for the chevrons, use Oralite™ V92 or V98 read and florescent green. It's a little more expensive ($425 6"x150' US) but hella easier to use!!! Practice prior to doing the actual job. Takes just under half a roll to do a back.
If the back is not done in any type of diamond grade, then just use 3M™ 680CR Ruby Red and Lemon Yellow. Just a 24"x10yd of Lemon Yellow will do the back ($425 US). Ruby Red, you will need more if you are going to wrap the sides with it. See if you can get away with 30" width material before going to 48".
For the sides, use 3M™ 680CR Ruby Red and Blue for the main colors and IJ680CR for the printed maltese crosses.
My feeling that its stupid for the red to be reflective also. The blue should only be reflective along with the printed crosses.

Last edited:
Oralite 5650RA. Thin and lightweight. Pulls thru cutters easily when cutting even with laminate. And the greatest feature over ALL other printable reflectives is that it’s 54”!!!!! You can use your standard sized laminate and make things that much larger. I do between 20-30 ambulances a yr for the past 24 yrs and always use this product and never had any come backs or issues. And it’s priced right too. 3M 680cr is hard to pull with laminate with my Summa S2T160. Had to set up an indeed and out feed table. And it’s 48” and $$$$$.
thanks for the input. I will check out our suppliers and see if we can get our hands on the Oralite stuff.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I am printing on an HP or one of Mutohs and cutting on a ValueCut 1800 or S-One D160. I never have a problem with it dragging and I also set my registration marks for 4-point positioning, so it only cuts 18" lengths at a time.
I find that Oracal is too dark for "their" white and Arlon takes too damn long to adhere as I have to use heat lamps for extended times to get it to stick well.
As for the width, I agree that 54" is better, but with reflective so easily to bruise, unless one is looking to wrap in the material (no suggested), I find the 48" just fine.