• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another new permitting request

Scotchbrite

No comment
Another new first for me with permitting the past 22 years. This municipality is asking for "2012 building code compliance documents". I know what the 2012 building code is, but I've not heard of "compliance documents". Anyone heard of something like that before?

CanuckSigns

Write them back and ask exactly what documents they require, it's their job to let you know what they need. It sounds like they couldn't be bothered to look up which documents they needed.

visual800

sounds like another group of lazy a$$ office workers to me barking off BS orders. What type signs are you doing? I would tell them to get you what they are asking for. This is why I dont bother with permitting every job

weyandsign

Are they verbally asking you, or it's something that's listed on the permit application? I would just send in the application with whatever drawings you have and see what happens. When stuff like this happens remember, you're the sign expert, not them. Just give them what you think is needed.

Scotchbrite

No comment
It's on the list of documents to submit with the permit, in italics for emphasis no less. I will ask them what they expect but I was curious if anyone else had heard of this before. I'm kinda wondering if our UL certification will suffice. I might also just submit what I usually do and see what they say.

Over the past couple of years a lot of the local small town municipalities have been turning to private companies to be their building department doing permit approvals and inspections. When I say small town, I'm talking populations ranging from 5,000 to 20,000 people. These companies treat sign work like it's a full fledge building and request all the same type of detail; stamped architect drawings, stamped engineering, etc. They don't realize how much this will balloon a $5000 sign project. It's ironic because the larger cities, where you expect there to be more requirements, actually have fewer demands.

BigNate

"...you're the sign expert, not them. Just give them what you think is needed."

iff'n ya can't convince 'em with knowledge, baffle 'em with Bull$h1t!!

Scotchbrite

No comment
"...you're the sign expert, not them. Just give them what you think is needed."

iff'n ya can't convince 'em with knowledge, baffle 'em with Bull$h1t!!
That's part of the reason I didn't want to lead off by asking the city what the compliance documents are because then it might put us off on a bad foot.

gnubler

Over the past couple of years a lot of the local small town municipalities have been turning to private companies to be their building department doing permit approvals and inspections. When I say small town, I'm talking populations ranging from 5,000 to 20,000 people. These companies treat sign work like it's a full fledge building and request all the same type of detail; stamped architect drawings, stamped engineering, etc. They don't realize how much this will balloon a $5000 sign project.

I'm in a small town and they do that here. All sign permits are sent to local surveying/engineering firms and it seems like I deal with different people every time. The sheer amount of information they want for simple wall signs is mind boggling.