• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone have a Matthews mixing station?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I am in desperate need for a very small amount of this color:
MP03364 Dopplebock, satin finish

We painted a project that needs some touch up paint. Apparently we used every last drop to do it, and now cannot get any more.

Signscorp

We have a Matthews mixing station. I guess I'm not sure how we would ship something like that.
how does the station work? did Mathews supply it for you? I've been thinking of getting one of these so we can stop using vinyl on everything when paint would be better.

Signscorp

I believe they supply the station if you purchase a full stock of mixing paint. Do you already have a spray booth and a guy that can shoot paint? They have brush additives, but at that point you'd likely be more profitable going to sherwin with color chips and having them mix something close to what you need in latex dtm. They can't use pms colors, but there are plenty of color matching websites if you don't have a chip of the desired color.
It's basically just a shelf with a bunch of can lids, the shelf has a motor that turns a bunch of sprockets, the lids mate to the sprockets and have a paddle to keep the paints mixed. Plus a large digital scale.
Hmm interesting. What do you guys use over there?

I have a solid painter who worked at a shop previously with a matthews set up. I don't mind the Sherwin idea since they've got local locations here. There also seem to be a lot of threads like this one about Matthew's being out of paint colours right now.

Scotchbrite

No comment
how does the station work? did Mathews supply it for you? I've been thinking of getting one of these so we can stop using vinyl on everything when paint would be better.
We got lucky and scored a mixing station left behind by an unscrouplous sign company that screwed a bunch of businesses including their landlord. The only thing that was missing was a scale but our vendor hooked us up with a scale since we'd be buying a lot of paint from them.

The station has a bunch of different gallon cans of different base colors. It has a chain drive system that runs lid mounted paddles to mix the paint. We run the mixer every morning whether we're painting or not. Matthews has an online formula database we log into to get the mix formulas. They have formulas for just about every system you can imagine; Sherwin Williams, Pantone, and 3M vinyl are the ones we use the most.

We haven't had any trouble getting paint. We don't spray a lot, either. We don't use a low VOC paint, so I don't know if maybe that makes an availability difference.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We use Matthews. Right now a gallon of black from matthews is as valuable as a drum of diesel! Prior to this nothings been an issue to get. If you have a guy that can shoot, I'd bounce it off him and see about a paint booth setup. It's not cheap, and if you're painter was trying to get out of the painting side of signs when he came to work for you, he won't be happy...
That must be a low VOC thing. Right now our vender has (43) gallons of Black Satin and (17) gallons of Carbon Black Satin for our mixing station.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They usually have a minimum purchase requirement. You're better off ordering paint to start because the toners go bad so if you don't use it enough, it's gonna get expensive real quick.

Signscorp

Sounds like starting with the paint booth is the play. I'll look into one of those and ease my way in instead of trying to get in hole hog with a proper paint system. Thanks guys

Notarealsignguy

Wha? Can I paint with normal VOC's? I seriously don't know sh*t about my paints other than supply shortages, and afik all we got were low VOC because we essentially had to. I guess I just need to dig in to some matthews educational/propaganda material so I know something before my painter retires...
You likely don't spray enough to have to worry about vocs. It's all compliant paint in this realm anyways. We have an air permit and don't even come close to the max permitted. Big manufacturers are the ones who really have to worry about that stuff.
The high solids, low voc and hvlp spray stuff is nonsense paper whipping anyways. You get that heavy paint and overreduce it in order to spray it which makes it non compliant. The manufacturers know it too but can't technically tell you that.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Wha? Can I paint with normal VOC's? I seriously don't know sh*t about my paints other than supply shortages, and afik all we got were low VOC because we essentially had to. I guess I just need to dig in to some matthews educational/propaganda material so I know something before my painter retires...
Yeah, I don't know a ton about that stuff. We're using the paint that came with the mixing station, which I believe Matthews called "Nuance". All of the paint numbers start with an "N". We had to do all the paperwork and training when the EPA made their big stink about sign painting, but the paint we use was an issue. Like Notarealsignguy mentioned, it's a lot to do with volume. We're pretty low volume. If the EPA gets concerned, I think they sample a piece of your spray booth filters to see if you're putting too much crap in the air.

I wonder if you can mix and match the Nuance with the low VoC stuff. If you get in a desperate spot for a color, it might be worth checking into.

Notarealsignguy

Yeah, I don't know a ton about that stuff. We're using the paint that came with the mixing station, which I believe Matthews called "Nuance". All of the paint numbers start with an "N". We had to do all the paperwork and training when the EPA made their big stink about sign painting, but the paint we use was an issue. Like Notarealsignguy mentioned, it's a lot to do with volume. We're pretty low volume. If the EPA gets concerned, I think they sample a piece of your spray booth filters to see if you're putting too much crap in the air.

I wonder if you can mix and match the Nuance with the low VoC stuff. If you get in a desperate spot for a color, it might be worth checking into.
The VOCs are done by receipts or record keeping of how much paint you use on each job over a period of a month, at least that's what we have to do and each state will have different air rules. It has been awhile since we had an audit
As far as filters, you need to have a TCLP test (leach test) done by a lab and most places that pickup your waste paint and bulbs can do this. You need to keep that record in order to justify disposing of them as solid waste vs hazardous waste. As long as you don't switch paints or have any sort of reformulations, you shouldn't have to do it again. I do have 1 customer that gets it done every year but I think it is just to avoid a hassle if they come in. Rags are supposed to be haz waste too but I don't know of anyone that does that.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
That must be a low VOC thing. Right now our vender has (43) gallons of Black Satin and (17) gallons of Carbon Black Satin for our mixing station.
Who is your vendor? Satin black and white conventional (not low VOC) have been almost non-existent for 4 months.

BTW - kudos to this guy for hooking me up with the touch up paint - thank you again!

Scotchbrite

No comment
Who is your vendor? Satin black and white conventional (not low VOC) have been almost non-existent for 4 months.

BTW - kudos to this guy for hooking me up with the touch up paint - thank you again!
Denco Sales. They were bought by Tubelite last year, but so far they're still operating as Denco. They don't have a branch east of Denver, but maybe Tubelite does?