• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone use metamark frosted etched wet apply?

soloinstaller

Im interested in replacing using the metamark wet apply frosted etched films instead of 3m dusted as the price is way lower, anyone use this stuff?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've done some full glass coverage jobs with the Metamark, works pretty good.

Very similar to Mactac (non-B-free). Goes down nicely, you just have to handle carefully to avoid kinks etc, especially once you get into the corners.

If you're doing full windows, make sure not to oversize your panels much (or at all, if you can get accurate site measurements)

ikarasu

Isn't the b free air release for printed graphics only? I was told it might leave some marks when applying, and the print helps cover it up - I think the document says to use it with prints only or use the regular stuff without.

We use mactac frosted... Just did about 40 windows with it, wet apply is just as quick as non wet apply, or close to it... The window gets pretty wet when you're cleaning it anyways! Plus when it's wet you can slide the vinyl to the top / left and only have to trim one side... I guess you could do that with bubble free as well, just takes a min longer to get the alignment perfect before applying.

It'd be interesting to compare wet vs not and see which is quicker. I imagine it's close, except when there is a cut pattern and you spend forever removing the damn premask...

Never tried the air release stuff though, so I could be wrong.

But we hate the 3m frosted, it's too clear and thin... The mactac stuff is great.

(Edit) I was wrong. It's cut graphics the bubble free frosted isn't good for, I guess it works fine non printed! Which makes more sense as most of our installs include some sort of a cut, and that's why we haven't really tried it.

Tomtint

We have a wet apply film made specifically for us. Its a Dusted match. Wet apply and 60" wide. If anyone would like a sample, I can send it