• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help ArtPath crashing after Windows 10 upgrade

AKProbeGT

I recently upgraded my computer that I run my Sabre 404 with from Windows 7 Pro(64bit I think) to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Now as soon as I click the Output tab in Artpath it crashes and I get a generic "Router Application has stopped working". It runs on a usb converter I've used for years with Windows 7. Any ideas or suggestions? I do have an old 32 bit laptop I used for setting up V-Carve paths that I could try and hookup if I really needed to but I'd love to avoid that.

markdarian

Close the program completely. Right click the program's icon and hit "Run as Administrator."

See if that helps prevent it from crashing

AKProbeGT

Close the program completely. Right click the program's icon and hit "Run as Administrator."

See if that helps prevent it from crashing

I tried that but nothing has changed. Still having the same issue. As soon as I hit the Output tab it crashes. Trying to locate my installation CD so I can try to reinstall the program but I haven't found it yet.

WildWestDesigns

Update from one OS version to a different always runs this risk (actually the risk even is there within major updates within the same OS version(given the rolling release of Win 10, if this is a legacy version of production software, I would be concerned that a Win 10 major update (typically 2 a year) would cause something like this again for you down the road, may not, but I would at least plan for that to be the case) and keep in mind, from Win 7 to Win 10 is a 2 generation jump (skipped Win 8)).

Your best bet is to reinstall from disk (although it still may require some finessing to get it to still work right(I had one program when I went from 7 to 8.1, I had to manually move dll files from the disk to a specific location(which was mentioned in an error msg box) in order for it to work). I would also make sure that drivers for that converter will also work on Win 10 (the current version that your Win 10 OS is at anyway, sometimes support may be dropped within a very specific version of Win 10, which can also happen with the main software as well).

As to "running as admin", I know for some things it works and with a legacy piece of software like this, it is a viable option, but if software written today still requires that, that's no bueno. Sure, su/sudo for installing itself is one thing, but running it, no, but I digress.

AKProbeGT

Update from one OS version to a different always runs this risk (actually the risk even is there within major updates within the same OS version(given the rolling release of Win 10, if this is a legacy version of production software, I would be concerned that a Win 10 major update (typically 2 a year) would cause something like this again for you down the road, may not, but I would at least plan for that to be the case) and keep in mind, from Win 7 to Win 10 is a 2 generation jump (skipped Win 8)).

Your best bet is to reinstall from disk (although it still may require some finessing to get it to still work right(I had one program when I went from 7 to 8.1, I had to manually move dll files from the disk to a specific location(which was mentioned in an error msg box) in order for it to work). I would also make sure that drivers for that converter will also work on Win 10 (the current version that your Win 10 OS is at anyway, sometimes support may be dropped within a very specific version of Win 10, which can also happen with the main software as well).

As to "running as admin", I know for some things it works and with a legacy piece of software like this, it is a viable option, but if software written today still requires that, that's no bueno. Sure, su/sudo for installing itself is one thing, but running it, no, but I digress.

That would require me finding my original disc for installation... So far I've had no luck doing that.

WildWestDesigns

That would require me finding my original disc for installation... So far I've had no luck doing that.

Yes that would, or (I highly doubt that this was done though) create an ISO backup stored somewhere on an external drive, your computer's drive and/or NAS and then just "mount" (modern OSs treat ISOs as virtual optical drives) that and install from that. But in neither situation detracts from that being the best method to try to improve one's chances for getting a legacy program to work.

This does remind me, if there are legacy programs that you want to try to preserve and still use on Win 10 (when you have to get a new computer) I would suggest creating an ISO of those programs from the disc (use disc burning software, not compression software even though compression software can create ISOs, they aren't of the same quality as the ISOs from disc burning software). Not only is that good for a backup, but it does provide a way to use them when optical drives are becoming less and less common, at least it appears to me for off the shelf mainstream computers.

Adam.Foster

I recently upgraded my computer that I run my Sabre 404 with from Windows 7 Pro(64bit I think) to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Now as soon as I click the Output tab in Artpath it crashes and I get a generic "Router Application has stopped working". It runs on a usb converter I've used for years with Windows 7. Any ideas or suggestions? I do have an old 32 bit laptop I used for setting up V-Carve paths that I could try and hookup if I really needed to but I'd love to avoid that.
did you find a solution to your problem?