• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bare minimum to charge / ask during pandemic? Lowest price you would comfortably go down to??

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
NEWS!

I won't be taking this job whatever happens. Even if they agree to $1700 or $2000.
I just spoke to my buddy and when i told him the story he immediately asked me if was this and that guy from this and that company. So it turns out he was doing the job for him.
The issue is not that his printer is broke but he wasn't paid for several vehicles wraps. So the owner of the company is a LIAR.
And it's a big company. They have vehicles everywhere. My buddy told me this guy expects that they go up to other states to do the print ( down here) and do the install up in a different state. Everything included in the $1400. Travel, lodge, food etc. LOL. guy is on schrooms probably. It won't even work if I sub out the work to someone else since these wraps go for a lot more in any other states. How could I pay someone $600-$800 just for install on an NV200 if the whole job was $1400?? And the guy didn't want to pay tax on it!
My guy sent him the screenshots from his phone that he NEVER agreed to no tax.
So right now my buddy has 2 vehicles from this company that he won't release until he gets paid for the other wraps.
And yes. I did ask him wtf was he thinking when he agreed to $1400 when thats $4.9 sqft wise.
He told me he probably miscalculated something. But how do you do almost a dozen vehicles like that? You should pretty much see how much material you printed for the first vehicle and realize you made a mistake.
Anyway. I probably just avoided something that would have would have put me waaaaay behind in these - already hard times.

EDIT: That was for a FULL wrap. not lettering.

CanuckSigns

If he has no intention of paying, why is he bothering to beat you down on price?

Glad you dodged the bullet there. During this pandemic, a $2000 invoice does not guarantee a $2000 cheque in your hand.

Jeremiah

I have never lowered my prices .01 . But I have changed material used and explained it to the customer, or included an upgrade for the original price. But I'm not Broke during this slower time either (I'm not a. Grasshopper).

unclebun

You dodged a bullet. That's why it's always a good idea to ask for their most recent paid invoice before even talking about what they paid before. Walmart, when they used to price match other grocery stores, required you bring the ad from the other store before they would do it. And they were usually talking about 30 cents.

But IF you wanted to discount a job because of the government ordered recession, I would recommend you estimate it and invoice it that way. List out your normal price for that job, and then add a discount line of 10% off or whatever that is clearly marked as due to a COVID shutdown sale.

SGS Graphics

Sound like you guys in the USA are taking it harder than over here in the UK with Covid 19. online sales for us of decals etc are still strong and ive had a fleet of vans in for sign writing from a company as they are off the road with covid-19 and said it was an ideal time for them to be done. And ive been paid for them also.

Hope it picks up for you lot and one thing ive always said is dont be a busy fool. No point doing any job if it doesnt make you a profit. Breaking even is also a no no for me. But these times are not the usual. I may have to adjust my thinking as time goes on

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Sound like you guys in the USA are taking it harder than over here in the UK with Covid 19. online sales for us of decals etc are still strong and ive had a fleet of vans in for sign writing from a company as they are off the road with covid-19 and said it was an ideal time for them to be done. And ive been paid for them also.

Hope it picks up for you lot and one thing ive always said is dont be a busy fool. No point doing any job if it doesnt make you a profit. Breaking even is also a no no for me. But these times are not the usual. I may have to adjust my thinking as time goes on
I dont understand the thinking behind someone who would rather lose money than to break even. Technically, doesnt that mean you made money?

Dukenukem117

Speaking in general and not on this particular customer given what you later found out, but what if you charged your normal price, but only took payment for what the discounted price would be now? The remainder will be on your receivables to collect later if both of you are still in business. Its basically what many landlords are being forced to do now. It doesn't set a precedent that this is the new low price, but it does show some consideration for the situation we are in. Plus you might be able to sell the remainder to a factoring company if you needed some quick cash.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've been just adding "discount" to the invoices so they know what the normal price is. I know what everyone in my town is charging and I'm priced in the middle. I've adjusted so that I'm near the lower end so I don't miss as many of those bids. Still making $$, just not as much as before. I've also been taking jobs that I would normally just pass on.

Jeremiah

I pass on everyone who does not want to pay our solid and reasonable prices. Our Business Policy

I saw a sign in a resale store. It stated. " this store is NOT Let's Make A Deal"
" Its the Price Is Right "

ams

I had two weeks of almost no business, but am now getting several new jobs daily. I haven't been charging less than my normal price. A couple sign shops were giving away free banners and yard signs, but even knowing that, my loyal customers still came to me and paid, because they knew I had to survive. There is nothing wrong with giving a discount, but don't hurt yourself.

BobM

You can't think short term. Overhead is overhead. Cost of doing business is cost of doing business. I might give an existing customer a "Covid 19" discount to help "our" business's on a job by job basis. This is a time when the tire kickers and low lifers come out to save them a few dollars but they will never become our base or long term customers.
Focus on your dependable long term customers. Your time, materials, and equipment are valuable. Your equipment is not going to replace itself, replacement materials are not free, and your time is valuable.
Chose carefully who you chose to give your time and assets to. You don't need practice, you need to protect your business and support those who support you.