• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beginer Illustrator 4, versaworks question.

Salmoneye

I am having problems when I bring certain files in my rip and they won't fit in the assigned area and it wants to split my sign into two prints. Usually I am finding that I have some little thing sitting off of the active art board. This time I am finding that the bounding box on one of my logos is much larger than the print area of the logo itself. I can't resize the bounding box without resizing the logo. Sorry, I am really new to Illustrator.
Tanks in advance,
Sam

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Download this Illustrator plugin, unzip it and install it in your Illustrator plugins folder. it adds a number of object selection capabilities to your Select menu.

One useful one for the problem you are describing is the ability to select "Stray Points". Once selected, delete them and watch your bounding box truly bound your graphic.

cmaxdesigns

Hmmm

Is your logo Vector based (designed in illustrator or corel). If it is then my next question is have you used a clipping path to clip a portion of the logo? This would make the bounding box larger then the logo itself. If it was created in Photoshop or pixel based it may have some elements inside the file that the human eye cannot detect but resides outside the actual logo itself. Just some thoughts that came to mind.

Salmoneye

Thank you for the info Fred. CMAX, I think that this logo came as a raster based image and I traced and converted it. I can't find a pixel out there but let's say that there is one. Isn't there a way that I can mechanically reduce the size of the box to crop out the unwanted part without resizing the image?

jasonx

You can also change the document size and save out as a PDF and put this into versaworks.

OADesign

Hi Salmoneye,

You did not mention how you are exporting the file.
Sometimes what happens is your art board is larger then the actual image yet when illustrator exports the image it actually take the size of the art board as opposed to just the size of the image. Try reducing the art board (or document size) to be the same as the actual image.
Also CS4 supports multiple art boards. Make sure you don't have multiple art boards in your doc. I don't think that is the issue here though.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
i am having problems when i bring certain files in my rip and they won't fit in the assigned area and it wants to split my sign into two prints. Usually i am finding that i have some little thing sitting off of the active art board. This time i am finding that the bounding box on one of my logos is much larger than the print area of the logo itself. I can't resize the bounding box without resizing the logo. Sorry, i am really new to illustrator.
Tanks in advance,
sam

corel draw

x2chris7x

Try using your white arrow selection tool, and drag a selection around a corner point of the "box" youre describing thats around your logo. If you find that you have selected a point, delete it and the other 3 remaining points, and that should do the trick....

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The free plugin I linked to in post#2 is a highly valuable and free addon to Illustrator. It completely solves the problem of the OP by allowing selection of the stray points that are causing him grief.

Salmoneye

Hi Fred, I know that this is an old post but my problem was due to a clipping mask issue back then. I did however try to install the plugin that you linked me to and it was never recognized correctly. Do I just need to drop it into the plugin folder or also into the tools sub folder? CS4