• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question BEST colour change wrap vinyl for double step recesses (Hyundai iLoad)

SublimeCreative

Hey all,

Hyundai iLoads have always been my bane of existence when coming to vehicle wraps, not the car itself but the rear side window areas with there double step, U shaped recesses.
I have used Avery supreme, 3M 1080 and Hexis.
I would like to hear your suggestions and if anyone has used the 3M 2080 series.
Any tips would be great.

See attached photo of problem area.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 9.13.55 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 9.13.55 am.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,018

Neil

I have 2 of these vans to do soon and am wondering the best vinyl for those deep recesses.
I can either print the whole wrap - I normally use Avery 1105 with 1060z lam.
Or I can use solid color vinyl for that area like the Supreme or Oracal 970.
Any suggestions?

FCD

I like 3M 2080 way more than the old 1080 series, it's way more pliable and closer to the softness of Avery Supreme, it installs easier than the 1080 in my opinion.
As far as installing on the van, to ensure long term durability you'll probably have to do some sort of an inlay and hide the seam in the body lines as there may be too much stretch in some of those areas and it could pull back if you miss a spot during post heating. Tricky van for sure!

Neil

I like 3M 2080 way more than the old 1080 series, it's way more pliable and closer to the softness of Avery Supreme, it installs easier than the 1080 in my opinion.
As far as installing on the van, to ensure long term durability you'll probably have to do some sort of an inlay and hide the seam in the body lines as there may be too much stretch in some of those areas and it could pull back if you miss a spot during post heating. Tricky van for sure!
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I may have to get something more specific for such a stretch.
Something more stretchy!
Probably solid color, rather than print & lam.

BetaCtz

I've learned/heard Avery is a little bit thinner, so may be a bit more playable and better to install.
That looks like a nightmare to me - it just screams they'll be back in a year with issues, unless installed for longevity like others have said.

I've worked with Hexis in limited amounts. An installer told me that I sent out with some, it tacks too quick to the surface, so it's harder to work with.

Take all of that with a grain of sand :)

signheremd

We use Arlon SLX CastWrap for things like this. Have not used the others mentioned, so can't give a comparison. But the Arlon is slideable, low initial tack, and requires post form heating to fully activate the adhesive.

Neil

We use Arlon SLX CastWrap for things like this. Have not used the others mentioned, so can't give a comparison. But the Arlon is slideable, low initial tack, and requires post form heating to fully activate the adhesive.
Yes, I think being slideable is the key here, so it doesn't grab the middle panel. We need to be able to put as much stretch as possible into the middle areas, away from the recesses.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If this is for a commercial wrap, then you're going to cut the hard edges and see a little bit of white on the dimensional aspect, but the vinyl will not fail that way.
I can't see vinyl NOT failing somewhat in that complicated recess pattern.
You will also want to use some 3M Primer 94 in any grooves if you're using 3M vinyl.

De.signs Nanaimo

If this is for a commercial wrap, then you're going to cut the hard edges and see a little bit of white on the dimensional aspect, but the vinyl will not fail that way.
I can't see vinyl NOT failing somewhat in that complicated recess pattern.
You will also want to use some 3M Primer 94 in any grooves if you're using 3M vinyl.
I agree, this will make it last, on a colour change I would go with inlay, or extra charges for priming and detailed post heating!

Neil

I agree, this will make it last, on a colour change I would go with inlay, or extra charges for priming and detailed post heating!
There's a gradient blend through the background colour, so it's going to be printed not colour change vinyl.
I spoke with my supplier he said the Avery 1105 is up to it as long as I use primer and good technique.
I also had the customer come here again showing him all the problem areas.
Not to mention there's some conform chrome to go on top too!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
There's a gradient blend through the background colour, so it's going to be printed not colour change vinyl.
I spoke with my supplier he said the Avery 1105 is up to it as long as I use primer and good technique.
I also had the customer come here again showing him all the problem areas.
Not to mention there's some conform chrome to go on top too!

Your supplier is recommending you use 3M primer w/ Avery wrap films?

Has something changed with this combination or is your supplier out to lunch? I was always told using primer for any non-3M films was a big no-no.

Just curious more than anything.

Either way, I hope the install goes well! What were the designers thinking when they came up with those window wells???

Neil

Your supplier is recommending you use 3M primer w/ Avery wrap films?

I was always told using primer for any non-3M films was a big no-no.
He didn't mention 3M Primer. The primer I use isn't 3M and it's always worked well where needed.
I've removed a few of my wraps and can tell where the primer has been applied it really holds the vinyl (adhesive) down solid.

Good point though. I know a lot of installers don't use primer.
In the case of these 2 vans I'm having an experienced installer come and help so I'll be interested to see what he recommends.

BetaCtz

I use both ProBond and 3M Primer. For the longest time I used Probond on anything and everything, only recently have I used only 3M on 3M film...
Are they the same product to a degree? I don't know. A colleague says to use the probond on every, and 3M on 3M. Meh.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
He didn't mention 3M Primer. The primer I use isn't 3M and it's always worked well where needed.
I've removed a few of my wraps and can tell where the primer has been applied it really holds the vinyl (adhesive) down solid.

Good point though. I know a lot of installers don't use primer.
In the case of these 2 vans I'm having an experienced installer come and help so I'll be interested to see what he recommends.

Interesting, I didn't realize there were non-3M primers. I definitely agree that you can tell where primer has been applied. We stripped a sprinter a couple years back that must have had primer applied with a spray gun or paint brush - it took 3 full days (roof was also completely wrapped) with a scissor lift, pressure washer, and lots of blood sweat and tears. Never again will I quote a removal that we didn't install!!

I use both ProBond and 3M Primer. For the longest time I used Probond on anything and everything, only recently have I used only 3M on 3M film...
Are they the same product to a degree? I don't know. A colleague says to use the probond on every, and 3M on 3M. Meh.

Cool, thanks. I will look into the ProBond primer. Where do you guys get it from?

Neil

I'm in Australia and the primer I use is made here. It's called Jetmax Advanced Adhesion Promoter.