• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Printers to replace Gerber Edge?

MarkH42

We have used a Gerber Edge in our business for decades, but the process for replacing the print head when a pixel goes out is just too cumbersome and expensive. We have an FX now, but we have had 1s and several 2's through the years. We use the Edge mainly to print white on color vinyl. We have latex printers we use for larger jobs, but the vibrancy of the color vinyl is hard to beat. I would like to explore a new printer to replace our Edge for short runs and printing white on color vinyl. Can anyone recommend a machine that competes well with the Edge? The Summa DC5sx looks interesting, but I need to learn more about it. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Gary1

The Summa DC5sx will be identical to the Edge, except you can print wider. I still have my Edge LE I bought in 1998, and replaced print head under warranty and it's still working fine, though I don't use it much anymore.

Greeny

I have 3 Summa DC3's (2 work - one for spare parts). I mainly use mine for the metallics (chrome / gold / red / blue). Now experimenting with layering the other spot colours over the chrome to create new metallic colours.
Not sure how readily available the DC5's are thou... I thought they were all discontinued.

citysignshop

Some of the big label-maker outfits have smaller, proprietary thermal printers, like Brady...up to 6" wide if I recall. Might just fill the gap needed for those odd white jobs! I also have an Edge FX that just won't play nice with Flexisign...prints one job, then just refuses. Typical Gerber BS...but you can't beat the print density and cut accuracy with the punched vinyl!
1657809205804.png

MarkH42

Some of the big label-maker outfits have smaller, proprietary thermal printers, like Brady...up to 6" wide if I recall. Might just fill the gap needed for those odd white jobs! I also have an Edge FX that just won't play nice with Flexisign...prints one job, then just refuses. Typical Gerber BS...but you can't beat the print density and cut accuracy with the punched vinyl!
View attachment 160329
I will look into the Brady, although we need the ability to run more than one color. Thanks!

MarkH42

I have 3 Summa DC3's (2 work - one for spare parts). I mainly use mine for the metallics (chrome / gold / red / blue). Now experimenting with layering the other spot colours over the chrome to create new metallic colours.
Not sure how readily available the DC5's are thou... I thought they were all discontinued.
The Summa DC series has apparently been discontinued, as you said. I appreciate the input!