• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black overspray

high impact

I'm running Flexi pro 8 rip on my sp300v and all of a sudden have overspray only from my black ink. I have a rush job right now so does anybody have an idea or has anyone run into this before?

test print is fine - I just tried ripping through versaworks and it does it then too. Tried different profiles - same thing.

GK

is it a vector file you are trying to print? i have had a problem with some vector files on out HP10000 but as soon as i rasterize it...its fine.

high impact

Yes, it's a vector image. I rasterized and resent = same thing, I'm at a loss. My supplier said it's a bad pump and I don't buy that...

ChiknNutz

Bad pump?!?! The pump has ZERO affect on the print quality, as the pump doesn't even operate during printing! What kinda crap is that?! The pump ONLY operates to fill the heads BEFORE or AFTER printing (and during cleaning cycles of course).

I digress, but don't know the answer to your dilemma. Are you CERTAIN that everything is clean?

GK

it sounds like a build up of ink/dirt under the print head. Sometimes this happens after printing banner. The scrim fibers tend to stick if they are loose and the print heads were set to low. Take a peek underneath, make sure you don't see anything on the heads.

high impact

heads are clean as can be - just cleaned again. I was shocked to find the wipers curled though.

This is only happening with the black

Flame

One problem.... if it's a vector file, double check the properties of your black (CMYK). Some people design with black set for C100 M100 Y100 K100.

This WILL cause problems. It lays down too much ink on 95% of the profiles. Run a lighter combo, or I just set the values for black, at C0, M0, Y0, K100.

So check that. Also....

Check around your printhead for fibers and ink buildup. I know on mine I have to clean my rollers and all around my printhead pretty much once a week. Use a cleaning swab or a heckuva lot of Q-tips, and clean AROUND the nozzes (for pete's sake, please don't touch the nozzles).

This could cause that as well.

Not sure what kind of cleanings they have on a SP300, but on my Mutoh, if I run a couple powerful cleanings with a little alchohol, it clears everything up nicely.

Hope that helps?

ChiknNutz

heads are clean as can be - just cleaned again. I was shocked to find the wipers curled though.

This is only happening with the black

Which wipers are you using...the all-white Mimaki-style, right? I assume you're using Max ink. If so, the old cork/rubber wipers are junk and are shot in no time with either the Max or Triangle ink.

high impact

Chris,

triangle ink and I now remember the last time I changed them out I removed white but only black ones in stock so I used them and forgot aobut them needing to be the white ones...oops

I dont think it's causing my problem but none the less...argh...

Flamey,

Thanks but have already tried lighting up the black - no good

Flame

Hate to even say it, but........... did you get a headstrike? I know it's common for Rolands, and if you get material hitting the head, it can damage the nozzles and make them work all super funky.

Something to consider.....

mediaman

A long shot - could be static charge on the vinyl (especially if the A/C has reduced the humidity to low levels). Wipe it down with an Anti-stat rag or dryer sheet from the rear of the printer after it feeds off the roll but before it enters the print area.

high impact

no static and bi-directional is on the money.

I have a tech scheduled for Wednesday. I spent about four hours on this trying to repair today - argh...

Customer is taking a limited number of decals with the black overspray so they can ship some product - I was able to improve it but it is not correct. I have a feeling it's a head. - head test came out perfect for head two but head one has a shadow effect to it. We'll find out.

Thanks for the ideas.

high impact

Today is Wednesday. Tech finally showed up TODAY. he thinks it is a head but is unsure...if I have him replace it my bill for labor is two hours; if it is not the head, my bill will be for 4 hours. R & R.

My heads have very little print time on them...does this sound correct?

signage

Why should you have to pay for his guessing? Any tech worth their weight know what is wrong and do not guess, it sound like he is more of a parts replacer than a technician!

high impact

Well...the verdict is in.

my black/blue head was bad! I gambled and had him change it...I agree, it really stinks that I had to make the call and eat the labor even if his guess was wrong. However, his guess was correct but I could have even done that.

Come to find out later my employee had left the material retainers in the way of the head one day about a month ago and it had a head strike. Wammo! Bad head. Even had a mark in the screen.

The tech did a firmware upgrade, dampers, filter, head and head cleaning and set it all up. $1250 later it is working perfect.

I was going to be upgrading to a sp540v - looks like I will have to keep this one another couple of months to justify the repair. ;-)