• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Built new RIP/Graphic work station

mnapuran

Well, I'm stilling waiting on the arrival of my Mutoh, but the other equipment has arrived... and I figured I should build a nice new machine too :thumb:

My main workstation right now uses a nice Asus motherboard, and the Intel e6600 CPU w/ 2gb RAM. I use 2 Dell 22" LCD's dual monitor as well. Works just fine... but why not prepare a new machine for RIP'ing and possible design duties?

Picked up the following components:

- Intel DP35DPM motherboard (3 yr warranty)
- Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad processor (3 yr warranty)
- nvidia 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E graphics card (didn't bother w/ the 8800 GT)
- OCZ PC6400 2gb x 2 (4gb total) memory
- Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200RPM Serial ATA-300 Hard Drive (2 of them, running RAID 0 for performance)
- Samsung Super-WriteMaster Dual/Double Layer DVD±RW Burner
- Thermatake SopranoRS 101 (tool less) Case w/ performance 430w silent power supply

Dang nice machine if I say so myself... versus some of the marketed RIP machines out there. Total cost was under $900 too.

R08

Sounds nice but I've not really kept up with computer technology.
(My first machine was a brand spanking new 286 with a whooping 1meg ram and a HUGE 40 meg hard drive:) It was cutting egde at
the time. Over the years I've built my own and upgraded etc. but lately prefer to just buy out of the box)

So what exactly is RAID ( I hear about it a lot)?
And the Core 2 Quad processor... Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Fuzzbuster

Carefull on the raid set-up

Some rip software WONT Support Raid set-up...........and you shouldn`t have your rip and your design computer on the same machine.
just my 2 cents.....for what its worth....cdiesel has the perfect setup

SR

Raid is basicly a set of drives that run together and info is recorded on 2 or more drives hence incresing your speed huge

Their are different ways to set up raid but raid with 2 drives is dangerous
...if one drive calves out, your info is gone for good.

mnapuran

Some rip software WONT Support Raid set-up...........and you shouldn`t have your rip and your design computer on the same machine.
just my 2 cents.....for what its worth....cdiesel has the perfect setup

Their are different ways to set up raid but raid with 2 drives is dangerous
...if one drive calves out, your info is gone for good.

The RIP software really has no knowledge of the hardware being RAID, it's all handled by the hardware. As for RAID 0 being "dangerous"... you are correct. I don't store work on the system, it stays on the file server. The RAID on this box is for much faster RIP'ing and swap space only.

fozzyber

Some rip software WONT Support Raid set-up
Never heard of that.
at least not with hardware RAID

[/quote]...........and you shouldn`t have your rip and your design computer on the same machine.[/quote]
arguable.....

[/quote]Raid is basicly a set of drives that run together and info is recorded on 2 or more drives hence incresing your speed huge[/quote]
depends on the raid you have 0,1,5,or 10

Right know I have 2 500gb HDDs setup as a stripped array, and use it as a 1 TB swap/temp file drive.

[/quote]Their are different ways to set up raid but raid with 2 drives is dangerous
...if one drive calves out, your info is gone for good.[/quote]

If drives are mirrored not so, but stripped yes if one fails, bad news.

Fozzyber

[/quote]Their are different ways to set up raid but raid with 2 drives is dangerous
...if one drive calves out, your info is gone for good.[/quote]

Fuzzbuster

OK.........

Let me clarify........

Onyx production manager for our RIP SOFTWARE

ONYX will not give you Support and the software apperently has chances of not working properly on a RAID setup...SOMEONE ELSE could probably tell you why.......... Icant.

All i know is for color managment ONYX is the rip of choice for any serious printer.NO SUPPORT WITH RAID(Maybe its how it processes the file)
I do not have the tech answer for this but it is fact.
If somebody can show me different I`ll be glad to look into their tips

Make sure you clarify with ONYX first.:thumb:

Arstron

Sounds nice but I've not really kept up with computer technology.
(My first machine was a brand spanking new 286 with a whooping 1meg ram and a HUGE 40 meg hard drive:) It was cutting egde at
the time. Over the years I've built my own and upgraded etc. but lately prefer to just buy out of the box)

So what exactly is RAID ( I hear about it a lot)?
And the Core 2 Quad processor... Is it all it's cracked up to be?

That 286 was a pretty sweet system back in the day! I remember mine had 512kb of ram but I dont remember the hard drive size. I spent a lot of time playing wolfenstien and grand prix unlimited, but gpu ran horrible on it. I still remember thinking that the HUGE 500 meg hard drives and 8 megs of ram would never need to be upgraded, who would need such memory?:ROFLMAO: