• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buyer Beware! Avery Supreme Wrap Material.

DesireeM

Hello,

Just hoping to save some people headaches like mine in the future...

I had a city bus to wrap in Orange vinyl and ordered Avery's Supreme wrapping film in that colour.
I assumed (why do I do that?) the vinyl was Opaque considering what it's sold for, but I found out that it was not.
It was EXTREMELY translucent and the existing city bus colour and stripes were visible when the vinyl was applied. Lesson learned...Bought 3M's wrap vinyl instead and was not dissapointed. What a surprise that a colour-change wrap material is actually opaque.

I didn't read the product data sheet thoroughly which is my fault. But there are certain things about products you tend to assume. I don't think I was crazy to think Avery's wrap material would be opaque.
Avery was pretty good about compensating me with some of their printable wrap material but I wasn't crazy about the way they handled my complaint...

Anyway...I attached the part of the document that states which colours are translucent and may not be suitable to apply to anything that isn't stark-white.
Untitled.jpg

Jamie Levey

Hello,

Just hoping to save some people headaches like mine in the future...

I had a city bus to wrap in Orange vinyl and ordered Avery's Supreme wrapping film in that colour.
I assumed (why do I do that?) the vinyl was Opaque considering what it's sold for, but I found out that it was not.
It was EXTREMELY translucent and the existing city bus colour and stripes were visible when the vinyl was applied. Lesson learned...Bought 3M's wrap vinyl instead and was not dissapointed. What a surprise that a colour-change wrap material is actually opaque.

I didn't read the product data sheet thoroughly which is my fault. But there are certain things about products you tend to assume. I don't think I was crazy to think Avery's wrap material would be opaque.
Avery was pretty good about compensating me with some of their printable wrap material but I wasn't crazy about the way they handled my complaint...

Anyway...I attached the part of the document that states which colours are translucent and may not be suitable to apply to anything that isn't stark-white. View attachment 133905

Exact same issue...exact same color!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Actually, some 3M wrap films are also NOT fully opaque, like their carbon fiber wrap material for instance. Always, always read the spec sheets on your products.
Another VERY important piece of info about solid color (wrap) vinyl is that you have to be sure to specify that all rolls of wrap material for one project come from the same lot number, as he color can vary from lot to lot. Not enough that it matters on cut vinyl; but on full wraps, it aint gonna fly.

spooledUP7

Actually, some 3M wrap films are also NOT fully opaque, like their carbon fiber wrap material for instance. Always, always read the spec sheets on your products.
Another VERY important piece of info about solid color (wrap) vinyl is that you have to be sure to specify that all rolls of wrap material for one project come from the same lot number, as he color can vary from lot to lot. Not enough that it matters on cut vinyl; but on full wraps, it aint gonna fly.
I agree 100%. Always read the spec sheet. I learned my lesson years ago when I used 3M 1080 White Aluminum. That stuff is directional my friends and must be used in the same direction throughout the job. I read this after the job was complete. I thought that is was irresponsible for 3M not to put a warning or at least arrows on the liner (that's called projecting in psychology), but in reality it was a rookie move. My last roll of White Aluminum I noticed it now has arrows on the liner. I must not be alone.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Also, always install your panels FLIPPED like a regular wrap would be printed when installing solid color wrap vinyl. Due to the process of making the wrap vinyl, color can vary slightly from the left to right edge of the roll. I believe 3M now has some arrows on the liner, but most do not know about this and it isn't even taught at the 3M Installer Certification training school.