• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a used SP300

Dieter

Hello,
I am Dieter and new here.
My core business is building bicycle wheels.
These wheels can be personalized with custom stickers.
To be flexible and fast with our stickers I am looking into a printer/cutter.

The first option is a bn-20, big enough to do what we need.

The only thing is the price, a bit high for our purpose.

Now I ran into a used Roland SP300 for €2300.
Acording to the seller it is in great shape.
However I know nothing yet about these printers.
What are the things to look out for when buying a used Roland printer?
How can I check it is in good shape?
What costs can I expect on this printer model?

Thank you for the help.
Best regards,
Dieter.

IsItFasst

I have an SP-300V (slightly newer model) that I have been printing with for well over 10 years. And I bought it used. These things are workhorses but the only issue now is parts are getting harder to find since they are so old. Main parts like consumables and even heads are still available but if a rare part breaks it may be hard to get a replacement. Make sure the test print (in the menu) looks good before buying. Otherwise you could be stuck spending another few grand out of the gate.

Dieter

Screenshot_20210525_051251.jpg
Screenshot_20210525_051232.jpg
Screenshot_20210525_051210.jpg
Screenshot_20210525_051131.jpg

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well yellow and magenta is decent, black and cyan not so much. You can see banding and if your core stuff is making small stickers it probably won't look as pretty as it could. It just has a lot of deflected nozzles.
There was no picture of caps but if I bought it, first thing I would do is change caps and wipers to new ones and clean the heads good as well.
Worst case you buy it and don't like the output on small stickers. Go look at it and test print your own file. See how it looks.

It's not SP-300i which is the newer one, so it's SP-300(v). It's old model and if it breaks you can have a hard time to find spare parts. So keep that in mind.

Also if you want to make stickers to wheels, you have to laminate the stickers. So... you need a method to do that as well.

Dieter

Thank you for the reply.
Because I am a newbie in this matter, I think I would let this one pass.
I already have read that repairs can be expensive.

Best regards,
Dieter.

geckophoto

I bought a used one a few years back for $400, put in new heads myself, dampers, wipers, sponges and its been a great machine. Just read up on service manual to do it on my own it wasnt hard at all.

jster171

I have had the same SP300v printer for 15 years now. As stated above, a straight WORKHORSE!! Problem is PARTS!! Something as simple carriage cables, cutter protection strips and cable cards are now discontinued with no replacement part numbers available. Sooooo, you gotta google your ass off and call all over the place looking for parts which is frustrating. I have been on the phone this morning trying to find parts actually.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have had the same SP300v printer for 15 years now. As stated above, a straight WORKHORSE!! Problem is PARTS!! Something as simple carriage cables, cutter protection strips and cable cards are now discontinued with no replacement part numbers available. Sooooo, you gotta google your *** off and call all over the place looking for parts which is frustrating. I have been on the phone this morning trying to find parts actually.

Check us out for the most common parts. A lot of the common parts for the SP300 are use din other machines so they are easier to find. For anything else we don't have or you can't find, try Ordway Sign Supplies in the southern cali.

As for the original post, that test print looks like there are a few deflecting nozzles. It's not a deal breaker but I would offer less than asking price since deflecting nozzles are a sign the heads are going to fail sooner rather than later.