• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I purge without damage to heads?

Subysti

Printer is a 360. So I thought I had a bad LM head as I wasn't getting any ink. Did cleanings etc etc to no avail. Replaced with new head and it printed fine for a bit then stopped as well, guessing new heads come primed with a little ink in them? Well it looks like I just ran out of LM ink and the printer was wrong as it said I still had 50ml left. Not sure long it was run that way but I think I need to purge the lines to get the ink flowing again. The service manual says to install service heads and then replace after purging. Will purging damage the heads? I guess my other option is a syringe and try and pull the ink through?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just turn it off and pull with syringe if you want to. I doubt you get much air but you will find out.
You purging the line won't "damage the heads" in any way.

cornholio

The purging heads are used during installation or after replacement of the SRK(ink lines and cables going to the carriage) to fill the system with ink. When there is some ink in the line already, the purgers won't help. If there is air inside the lines, you can use a syringe. It is rather unlikely, that you have air in the system. Most of the time, it's a bad head(I had quite a couple of bad new LMLC heads lately)
To check, if there was air in the system, you could weigh the head and compare it with a good one.

Subysti

Just a follow up. Ordered another head and all is well. Seems to be a bad head. Tried calling HP to get them to replace it and was disconnected after on hold for an hour and 20 minutes.