• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you do variable color data in Corel Draw?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We have to make labels which have misc color coding to them. Is there a way to make a variable field in corel that will insert a specified fill color into a box?

jochwat

Graphics Department
We have to make labels which have misc color coding to them. Is there a way to make a variable field in corel that will insert a specified fill color into a box?
Haven't used Corel in some time, but does it allow variable graphic elements? In the event that you can't do a variable color fill, you could always prepare the different box color elements in advance and then call those in through the data.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..

Most of my experience lies in InDesign for variable data. What we need to do with that is to make your file, in your case a color and save it as a PDF, EPS etc. and save this in a folder. Then in the excel document, instead of calling for a first or last name or whatever, you call the file. For instance C://ColorBoxes/Red. This will call your red color. Just need to be hyper aware of what you call your files, where you are putting them, and the pathing to call them forward. This may be different in Corel draw, but may give you a good base to go off of.

Notarealsignguy

Haven't used Corel in some time, but does it allow variable graphic elements? In the event that you can't do a variable color fill, you could always prepare the different box color elements in advance and then call those in through the data
This is what we usually do but the way the data was sent makes that nearly impossible to do efficiently.

Notarealsignguy

Haven't used Corel in some time, but does it allow variable graphic elements? In the event that you can't do a variable color fill, you could always prepare the different box color elements in advance and then call those in through the data.
Sorry for making this amateur hour. I created a box in the bottom right corner which is what I want to be the variable color. Do I make an image out of that box, save it and then insert the path in the spreadsheet?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Sorry for making this amateur hour. I created a box in the bottom right corner which is what I want to be the variable color. Do I make an image out of that box, save it and then insert the path in the spreadsheet?
That is how I would do it

jochwat

Graphics Department
Yes, and make individual images for each different color, which will be pulled in based on your data file.

Notarealsignguy

Yes, and make individual images for each different color, which will be pulled in based on your data file.
So I tried that and it just imports the text of the path rather than the jpeg. Any ideas? I use rasterlink for the RIP so I have to use print merge in corel X7 to create the file.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So I tried that and it just imports the text of the path rather than the jpeg. Any ideas? I use rasterlink for the RIP so I have to use print merge in corel X7 to create the file.
I think for images you have to put the whole file path in the spread sheet, not just the file name.

edit: oh, I just saw where you said path already... could it be missing something in the file path?

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

I think for images you have to put the whole file path in the spread sheet.
I did. I don't see where it can be done in Corel without a macro. I tried using what that link said, it is also importing the text/code
I'm going to keep digging, but for now I made a text field under the box that says what color it's supposed to be. I'll just go into the merged file and add the right fill to the boxes which will cover up the label.

Notarealsignguy

Did you put the path in quotes?

Could you do a find and replace for the boxes with colored elements using your labels?
I did. With the text labels, I can run through it and change them in a batch pretty quickly..... faster than I can figure this out.
The last ones they wanted color coded arrows, each one a different direction. Screw that, I cut out a bunch of tiny little printed arrows and sent them with it. They will pay for the time.... I just don't want to do it.

richsweeney

In ID, could be the same in cor Hell, you use hyper links in your data file. After you make your link, you cannot move the file, or the link will break, ( I think) So you could make images/.jpgs and hyper link to them.
report back!