• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Can you print multiple passes of clear ink UCJV300-160

RonnyCrack

Is there any way to add multiple coats of clear ink for embossing? Seeing others in the same space with similar UV printers able to do this. There's got to be a way on mimaki, or is it just a huge oversight/way for them to make you get into the big(ger) leagues with their more expensive models?

Smoke_Jaguar

Yes, but you might need to do a print retract to do it. Under the compositing tab in Rasterlink, the printer will release all but the far edge rollers on the left and right sides to keep from smearing ink with the rollers, so make sure things are well aligned.

RonnyCrack

Yes, but you might need to do a print retract to do it. Under the compositing tab in Rasterlink, the printer will release all but the far edge rollers on the left and right sides to keep from smearing ink with the rollers, so make sure things are well aligned.
So just put two clear gloss layers in, make sure both "pull back after print" and then send it through? Trying right now will report back.

Smoke_Jaguar

Yup, pullback is needed because gloss ink has to settle before it is cured. Otherwise the droplets don't have time to spread out and you get matte.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
You can change the Overprint in the RL quality settings, if your not adding a lot of layers it will work fine.
You can also add various amounts of clear by creating a greyscale layer and using the mono colour feature to print different percentages, 100% Black = 100% Clear, 50% black = 50% clear, etc.. This adds a cool effect with a black to white gradient.

RonnyCrack

It seems that I can't see a perceptible difference when doing one vs two layers of clear. I'm also noticing only the very beginning of my print it really slops it on there (in a good way) but after the first portion of the print, it has a weird, rougher look to it... Here's an example, first pic smooth second pic rougher. Wondering if there's a way to get a more consistent clear print?

Attachments

• 20240412_160148.jpg
    20240412_160148.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240412_160157.jpg
    20240412_160157.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18