• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon 8400 as a first printer?

SignPros

I've only been running my own shop for a few months and have outsourced all my printing needs, but have recently been presented with the option of buying a Canon 8400 42" printer for cheap from a friend of a now-deceased friend who used it to print 36" posters. They never used it for anything else. I ran a search here, but didn't find anything at all. I've looked into the printer on Canon's site and it shows that it will print on banner material, which would be my main use, as well as some air-release for wraps and some decals and such. Probably 90% of what I'd print will be outside, and I know I'll need to laminate the vinyls, but I'd rather not have to laminate the banners.

I have no idea yet if there are any issues or problems with the printer, but before I even get too far into the process, I wanted some informed opinions as to whether it's even a viable option.

One possible concern that I noticed in Canon's Specs page is the size media rolls that it will accept...Maximum Roll Print Length: 59 Feet (18 meters); Maximum Media Roll Diameter: 5.9" (150mm) Wouldn't that pretty much eliminate rolls of banner material? IIRC, rolls of 36" 13oz scrim banner are more like 8 or 10" across.

Opinions? :help And thanks ahead of time.

Rooster

It's an aqueous machine. The inks won't last but a couple of weeks outdoors.

You need a solvent or eco-solvent printer for outdoor use.

SignPros

Ahhhhh, I knew that. Sort of. I knew I'd need solvent or eco, I just missed that this was an aqueous machine. Would it work for printing vinyl for decals and wraps, if laminated?

NZDR-Payne

You're going to need a cast vinyl to do vehicle wraps and cast vinyls for aqueous machines are few and far between. Plus, the costs of the aqueous vinyls are probably going to price you out of the market if you're competing against someone using solvent inks.

If you have any indoor work the 8400 is a great machine. If you are strictly going to be doing long-term, outdoor work you will probably be disappointed.