• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon/Oce Arizona 1300 series - Repeated Roll Motion Errors with RMO

JdBattDesignRCI

The print shop I work at uses the Roll Media Option on the Arizona 1360 UV flatbed to print banners. So here's the latest problem.

If you have this machine then you know how tricky/annoying it is with the foot pedal controls for the roll media load/unload process.

If you press one of the two foot pedals out of sequence or too close together it makes a "ROLL MOTION ERROR" on the workstation screen and locks out all printer functions. And I see no way to reset and clear the error.

The only workaround I found for this is to turn the big scary red power switch OFF for under a minute and then turn it ON again, this restarts the printer (takes about ~3-5 mins) resets the RMO system and clears the error. Can't let it sit off for any length of time though due to the white ink.

Well today when I go thru the load roll media process, finish loading and hit 'Initialize.' The fans start up and it seems to be working for a minute, then it says "ERROR" The log shows Roll Motion Error. (I didn't touch the rolls during initialize) Turn the printer off and cycle the power. Repeat process. Same error message.

I have restarted 5 times and I still get the error every time I Initialize a loaded roll media. And I took the media completely off the shaft and reloaded it by hand too.

It's not the printer, I made a 12 foot banner with the printer earlier today. It's not the motors, the roll rotates when I push foot pedals during the load process. Both the takeup shaft and the media supply shaft turn as they should. It's not the file I'm printing, I didn't even get that far. Still trying to load the machine.

I got less than an hour left in the day and I will try again tomorrow. Sometimes letting it sit overnight seems to make a problem resolve itself.

Any ideas? We have a service contract with Canon but I want to ask on here before I place any service calls.

Also, is there a way to bypass the shutdown and clear the motion error without turning off and on? Don't want to risk damaging the printer electronics with too many power cycles.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Lets start here,
Learn the foot paddles. There's a guide in the handbook. Maybe print the page off and stick it next to to the RMO.

Yes, i know the error you're talking about and i'm not sure what causes it either. Try cleaning the sensors and strips. I get it every now and then.

The error can't be reset, weirdly. So i shut it down via the PC. THEN turn the main power off. turning the main power off can mess with the PC if it's not shut down properly.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We had the same issues with a particular roll of media where the core was too slippery for the grippers on the roll holder, and got initialization errors every single time.
We managed to get the 'bad' roll working by lightly taping some cardboard over the grippers so they would push harder against the core and everything worked fine until the end of the roll.
Do you have a different roll you can test with?

Also... "Can't let it sit off for any length of time though due to the white ink". We have turned our 360GT off plenty of times for up to 2 days (during electrical/building upgrades) without any problems with the white.

JdBattDesignRCI

Lets start here,
Learn the foot paddles. There's a guide in the handbook. Maybe print the page off and stick it next to to the RMO.

Yes, i know the error you're talking about and i'm not sure what causes it either. Try cleaning the sensors and strips. I get it every now and then.

The error can't be reset, weirdly. So i shut it down via the PC. THEN turn the main power off. turning the main power off can mess with the PC if it's not shut down properly.
-I printed out the foot pedal sequence and taped it to the floor right next to it and I'm following it to the letter.

-Where are the sensors/strips located? Couldn't find any mention of those.

-I can't do anything on the PC, it has no keyboard, just a mouse. The print driver interface is frustratingly simple with no shut down or restart option and I can't even minimize it to get to the desktop. If there is a power button on the back of the workstation somewhere I haven't found it.

Canon's user documentation and troubleshooting for the new 1300 series flatbed printers is hard to search for and maddeningly inadequate, and overly simplified to the point where it's not useful for anyone who already knows the most basic machine functions. The links to support on the Canon website listed in the user manual are no longer active, the urls give me a 404 Not Found error. I've found more useful instructions and training on an older Oce model before the 1000, but it's not the same and they completely redesigned the carriage and the vacuum system. Canon support really kinda sucks for the Arizona 1360GT.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
-I printed out the foot pedal sequence and taped it to the floor right next to it and I'm following it to the letter.

-Where are the sensors/strips located? Couldn't find any mention of those.

-I can't do anything on the PC, it has no keyboard, just a mouse. The print driver interface is frustratingly simple with no shut down or restart option and I can't even minimize it to get to the desktop. If there is a power button on the back of the workstation somewhere I haven't found it.

Canon's user documentation and troubleshooting for the new 1300 series flatbed printers is hard to search for and maddeningly inadequate, and overly simplified to the point where it's not useful for anyone who already knows the most basic machine functions. The links to support on the Canon website listed in the user manual are no longer active, the urls give me a 404 Not Found error. I've found more useful instructions and training on an older Oce model before the 1000, but it's not the same and they completely redesigned the carriage and the vacuum system. Canon support really kinda sucks for the Arizona 1360GT.

Encoder strip is on the big rubber roller.

Go to "tools and utilities" there should be a shutdown option. that does the proper shutdown sequence. unless your interface is completely different.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
1631249358523.png

JdBattDesignRCI

Thanks. Restarting now. I think I found the problem. The top take up shaft wasn't tightened all the way. It couldn't rotate the tube and put tension on the media.