• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas framing what type is this?

Impact Color

I’ve been trying to produce some canvas prints with the frames. I checked online and found several resources for stretcher bar frames. These are the ones that have the groove premade and uou just slide them in. The “challenge” is that they’re a little “expensive”. I got a frame off another canvas that doesn’t have the grooves and it appears they just staple them but I’m not sure what they’re called. I’m attaching some pictures does anyone know what these are called or where I can get them for a good price?

Attachments

• F4B30C58-15DE-4139-BA03-0C7B91D19395.jpeg
    F4B30C58-15DE-4139-BA03-0C7B91D19395.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 866
  • F5CD99F9-3EFE-4337-8EBA-62BAD2202A63.jpeg
    F5CD99F9-3EFE-4337-8EBA-62BAD2202A63.jpeg
    753.2 KB · Views: 133
  • F48939AB-E3B7-460D-ADA8-FF221D1D5766.jpeg
    F48939AB-E3B7-460D-ADA8-FF221D1D5766.jpeg
    979.9 KB · Views: 133
  • B6F5871B-5492-435C-850C-3B75984F9BA7.jpeg
    B6F5871B-5492-435C-850C-3B75984F9BA7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139

sbergman

I am in the picture framing industry. We buy thousands of feet at a time and cut and join them ourselves. We just call them stretcher bars. Let me know....
1) where you're located
2) how many you need
3) size
4) width of stretcher bars

If you can cut and join them yourself you can buy the moulding direct from any of the following:
Decormoulding.com
Omega moulding.com
Larsonjuhl.com

Some of the above might even cut and join for you.

Impact Color

I am in the picture framing industry. We buy thousands of feet at a time and cut and join them ourselves. We just call them stretcher bars. Let me know....
1) where you're located
2) how many you need
3) size

If you can cut and join them yourself you can buy the moulding direct from any of the following:
Decormoulding.com
Omega moulding.com
Larsonjuhl.com

Thanks for the response! Size different ones but deep I’d like 1.5 inches. I’m in Los Ángeles. Quantities would vary.

Impact Color

1) where you're located
2) how many you need
3) size

Decormoulding.com
Omega moulding.com
Larsonjuhl.com

What material would you recommend I look into?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We buy in the ones with the pre made groove. As far as materials go they’re very cheap and save loads of time.

But if you’re really trying to squeeze every dollar try any woodwork shop nearby. Should be a fairly straightforward job for them.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As far as I know, stretcher bars are always wood.

Not necessarily. IThe best stretcher bars I've used, and continue to use, are made from PVC brick mold available at any building materials store. The PVC is not only cheaper than wood, it's dead straight. Cut the pieces with a miter, put a bit of PVC cement on the edges to be joined, and staple the joints both front and back. I relieve the corners with a few strokes of a rasp. Not as light as wood but strong and straight. For larger frames, cross bracing is made from the same material. Just trim off the decorative part with a table saw yielding ~1"x2" sticks of PVC.

I've been doing this for quite a while and this is by far the best, and possibly cheapest, way to create a 1.25" deep and 2" wide frame that is as close to perfectly straight yet discovered.

Impact Color

We buy in the ones with the pre made groove. As far as materials go they’re very cheap and save loads of time.

But if you’re really trying to squeeze every dollar try any woodwork shop nearby. Should be a fairly straightforward job for them.
Where do you recommend for stretcher bars?

DeadDoc

We buy from stretcherbarwarehouse.com. There is probably better quality elsewhere. I occasionally feel the need to throw a bar or two away some days.