• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carbon fiber for the hood

Tony Rome

Hey I want to wrap a customers hood in a carbon fiber pattern but do not want to print it and wrap if I don't have to.
What is the best way?
Isn't there someone who makes a roll of car wrap WIT hthe CF pattern already on it and I would just have to lam?
Thanks!

Tony Rome

Thanks for the reply but CHEAPER?
So you are telling me you can get a jetta hood w/carbon fiber cheaper than what the material would cost me?
Is the hood made out of paper?

threeputt

Here's the problem. The CF pre-printed vinyls I've had in the shop here, are not very conformable. If you were to print on cast vinyl for wraps it would conform to the hood much better.

Secondly, I've only seen CF available in 15" widths. There may be wider somewhere, but I doubt you could wrap a hood in one piece. And the client most likely won't want a seam there.

Two cents only.

MachServTech

yes, there is a pre-made vinyl out there that looks like carbon fiber. the problem is it may not be suitable for vehicle wraps. The best way is to print the carbon fiber pattern on a premium vinyl like Oracal or 3m. There were a couple of Lotus cars done up that way at the last ISA sign show. It really looked like carbon fiber.

Thanks for the reply but CHEAPER?
So you are telling me you can get a jetta hood w/carbon fiber cheaper than what the material would cost me?
Is the hood made out of paper?

Not what it will cost you but him.
A hood will run 400ish.
The vinyl will never look like real carbonfiber
I guess it really matters on how picky this guy is

cptcorn

adad
Not what it will cost you but him.
A hood will run 400ish.
The vinyl will never look like real carbonfiber
I guess it really matters on how picky this guy is

I like how you give the best option for the customer, and everyone ignores you pretty much...

I would be charging way more than 400 for wrapping a hood with a carbon fiber pattern.

Tony Rome

Thanks guys all that info was great and was exactly what conclusions I was getting to also.
THANKS!
I think we will go with 3M wrap w/ a printed design from a CF pattern I have for PS.

Tony Rome

I like how you give the best option for the customer, and everyone ignores you pretty much...

I would be charging way more than 400 for wrapping a hood with a carbon fiber pattern.
I didn't ignore him :)
However I have to ask you more than $400.00 for wrapping a hood in CF?
It would be 17 Sq Ft....that would be about $23.50 sq ft...I am NOT saying you are wrong or challenging you but are you being serious that you would charge OVER $400.00
May I ask what is more involved than a regular wrap unless you are charging $23.50 per sq ft for reg wraps too?
Thanks!

Letterbox Mike

http://www.issmart.net/cf.html

I don't know how much this stuff is or where to buy it, but I just stumbled across it the other day on another forum. It's made by 3M, apparently has Controltac adhesive and is very conformable. It's a heat stamped film so it's 3D, meaning the light reflection will shift as the viewer moves, just like real carbon fiber. I'm told it's $4-5 p.s.f., so it's not cheap, but might be a good alternative for a carbon-fiber film. Sorry I don't know any more about it than that though.

MachServTech

I don't know how much this stuff is or where to buy it, but I just stumbled across it the other day on another forum. It's made by 3M, apparently has Controltac adhesive and is very conformable. It's a heat stamped film so it's 3D, meaning the light reflection will shift as the viewer moves, just like real carbon fiber. I'm told it's $4-5 p.s.f., so it's not cheap, but might be a good alternative for a carbon-fiber film. Sorry I don't know any more about it than that though.

Very nice!

cptcorn

adad
I didn't ignore him :)
However I have to ask you more than $400.00 for wrapping a hood in CF?
It would be 17 Sq Ft....that would be about $23.50 sq ft...I am NOT saying you are wrong or challenging you but are you being serious that you would charge OVER $400.00
May I ask what is more involved than a regular wrap unless you are charging $23.50 per sq ft for reg wraps too?
Thanks!
Yes I would... Using the film that everyone is suggesting is the worst material to use in "wrapping" something... and the end product looks like crap.

If you print a cf fill... this is the only economical way, but the look is 500x worse then the above method.

If you use DiNoc, which is expensive to begin with and you cant just buy a small chunk of the stuff, I would charge even more. This stuff is the only option... It's thick and its heavy. It looks good, but still not as good as a real carbon fiber hood and it achieves (other than the look) the complete opposite desired effect.

So, for the sake of a hood... an actual carbon fiber hood still is a better choice then anything provided for the customer. Unless he insists you do it in vinyl, I know I'd feel like I was taking advantage of them.

I was just pointing out an observation. You started the name calling.

I have DiNoc's expensive sample book sitting here and its amazing what they have to offer... They also offer their films w/ comply adhesive. The stuff I've worked with was $6 sq/ft my cost direct from manufacture in a qty greater than 2000 sq ft. Not sure how much the carbon fiber stuff runs
Dont worry.. I'm use to it on this site.
...and you shouldn't be. Man I could go for a sack of roasted chillis... stupid Minnesota.